Long Waits at Ezeiza

We almost missed our flight out of EZE a couple of months ago because all of the lines were insane. I was surprised there wasn't a riot. Also, don't count on the agents coming through the immigration line and pulling you out if your flight is leaving soon. We were on AA and they did nothing for us. We ended up pushing to the front of the line when someone called another passenger in front of us from inside the plane and told them they were about to close the doors.

However, the secret is to use those automated kiosks to the left side of the regular counters to check in. Just print out your boarding passes there and then you can drop your luggage over at the special counters. We learned about them after standing in line for well over an hour (I can never figure out why it takes so freaking long for most people to check in)! You will notice that all of the agents are moving at a glacial pace until the passengers realize they are getting close to departure time and then they actually start to work!

Also, if you are flying to the US and connecting, I've noticed the lines are much longer now in Miami and Dallas, so try to get a connection that is at least two hours. We almost missed our connection as well because they had four immigration desks open for two airplanes worth of passengers. Clearly, Argentina isn't the only place with long lines.

I recently missed a domestic flight departing from MIA because the line was sooooo long and they didn't have ANYONE at baggage drop for a long time.
American Airlines sucks :(

Is anybody arriving at the airport three hours before departure for international flights and still having this problem?

glasgowjohn said:
2 round trips in coach will not get you gold status......

Air distance between EZE and, say, SFO is approx 6,500 miles. 6,500 x 2 = 13,000 x 2 = 26,000 = Gold.

Keep away from Lima if you are wanting to get to Miami - I met people there who had been delayed for three days (Miami was their final destination). I also try to make sure there's at least 6 hours between connecting flights (I still have the Europe leg to do and can't be too sure).

Ries said:
I have been flying in and out of EZE since 2007, and this is nothing new.
Sometimes the line is very long, and it takes hours. Other times, its mysteriously quick.

There is no explaining this.

This is Argentina.

I fail to see how this could be Argentina's fault. AA is responsible fo staffing its check-in counters!
I would not bother much complaining to AA, it is on the brink of bankrupcy anyways. The service provided by AA is a disaster, very rude and unfriendly cabin attendants, even on flights from the US to Europe. Oh! and few speak other languages than English - compare that to the crew of let's say Emirates, they combined always speak 10+ languages.

AA filed for bankruptcy in November 2011. Part of their restructuring plan includes reducing worldwide staff by 13,000. This may explain why AA check-in at EZE is woefully understaffed. AA - Arrogant Airlines.

I flew standby on Delta out of EZE. Much is at the discretion of the locals working the gate, in terms of whether one will get seated at all, and where. For what it's worth, standby is a lot more democratic leaving the US than coming back. Can't really complain given the obscenely low price of the ticket, of course. However, a friend of mine who flies standby all the time has been stuck in Perú and Colombia for more than a week before, because of what, in retrospect, was quite clearly some asshole on a power trip bumping him for alleged "weight and balance" reasons or whatever he could come up with, even to the point of being asked to disembark after having boarded already! Not specific to Argentina, that.

Still, no complaints. If you are going to do standby internationally, you should always be prepared for adventure. A potentially expensive adventure if you have to come back to the airport half a dozen times. :)

I have had the same long lines, and the same mysterious no line at all, at Delta, and Continental over the years- so I was not singling out American.

Nonetheless, the random occurrence of very long lines is pretty Argentine. These long lines can appear almost anywhere- at a pizzeria, an airline ticket counter, or, or course, the bank or correo.

I am sorry if it offends argentine nationalism, but there is no bank in the USA that would have a line of 120 people waiting for tellers, while upper echelon employees stand around doing nothing, and then finally lock the doors at closing, and still have 50 people in line- but this kind of thing happens in Argentina all the time.
Believe it or not, there are stores in the USA where the managers get in trouble if there are EVER more than 4 people at the checkout.

Argentine lines are a phenomenon unto themselves- I have waited in lines in Java, and Tokyo, Sicily and NYC- and there is nowhere with quite the resigned nature and endless queues as in Argentina.
Cant think of anywhere else where you have to wait in line to get a reservation to wait in line, either...

Having been to Ezeiza 6 times in the last month, I've gotten familiar with the lines at AA. :p

It seems rather "random"... but I'm not sure if it has to do with missing agents, closed booths, or some type of technical problem. I was stunned to see the line spanning almost halfway across the entire terminal... and so when my family were leaving, we got there four hours ahead of time and had no delays. It seems rather hit or miss really and that line can form fast!

There's four huge international flights to the US on American in the span of about 3 hours - starting at 7pm and going until 10pm (two to Miami, New York, and Dallas if I remember right.)

Back