Long Waits at Ezeiza

After5

Registered
Leaving Buenos Aires on Monday night, I found the check-in line at American Airlines spilled out to about half the length of the terminal. It took 1-1/2 hours to reach the counter and obtain a boarding pass. Only four counter agents were handling the main cabin check-in for two international flights with nearby departure times.

My wife had a similar experience with AA a few months ago. So I wrote to them to inquire whether inadequate ground staffing is a chronic problem that produces these long lines. Today I received a boilerplate response which dodges the question:

We are sorry that your check-in took longer than we both would have liked when you traveled with us. We know that customers don't want to have to spend a lot of extra time at the ticket counter, and we know it was inconvenient when you had to wait. We'll make every effort to more efficiently assist you the next time you travel with us.​

What experiences have others had? Are there better options for flying coach class into and out of BsAs? Between the 1-1/2 hours in the AA line, and another hour in security/immigration, I spent a tiresome 2-1/2 hours standing in line. It's really beyond what I'm willing to tolerate, even in steerage.

I can't say I've had really long waits with AA but it all depends on day/time of year that you fly. Of course all the int'l flights leave at about the same time so the line for security/immigration is always a nightmare.

Had the same experience with Delta... was in the beginning of January though (peak season). That being said..in Argentina have you ever waited for 20 minutes in a grocery line..with only 1 or 2 customers in front of you?

I thought I saw an automated check-in kiosk at Delta. It would have been useful since I was traveling without checked bags. AA didn't have one, though.

Somehow I married someone who is as anal as my mother about getting to the airport 4 hours early. So we don't wait that long standing, but we do wait. Seems as though we're always about the first people to check in for our flight. But yes, I agree that the lines are ridiculous for check-in if you get there at what seems to be the appropriate time.

I have been flying in and out of EZE since 2007, and this is nothing new.
Sometimes the line is very long, and it takes hours. Other times, its mysteriously quick.

There is no explaining this.

This is Argentina.

After5 said:
I thought I saw an automated check-in kiosk at Delta. It would have been useful since I was traveling without checked bags. AA didn't have one, though.

AA does have automated kiosks, but they are easy to overlook, and their system is different than what you see in the US. They are located towards the left, between the business class counters and the curb, sort of below the left most escalator. You can use them if you have no luggage, but it prints out a receipt that you then take to the AA counter at the extreme left of the terminal. That desk is perpendicular to all the other counters, its about 20 meters left of the first class counters. One of the agent will ask you the security questions, verify that your luggage doesn't need to be checked, and print out your boarding passes. Its usually much faster than regular coach check in, and often faster than business class.

Of course, the best thing to do is get Platinum for life by flying 2 million miles and always use the business class line :p That also gets you into the EZE Admiral's club for free, I usually get to EZE before 1730 in order to beat the huge mass of travelers that pass through every evening, and get to the club by 1830 where I read or watch a movie until my flight.

When I last left via AA in late January, I encountered no lines at all, even though we arrived at a normal hour, a couple hours before the flight (last flight of the night - to MIA).

I've noticed that the check-in staff aren't AA employees. They swap badges depending on what airline their doing check-in for. So they're subject to the airport's personnel scheduling, rather than AA's.

Do you fly AA frequently? ~2 round trips from EZE to the US should be enough (or close to it) for gold frequent flyer status? W/ that, you can skip the long line?

MikeMike said:
Do you fly AA frequently? ~2 round trips from EZE to the US should be enough (or close to it) for gold frequent flyer status? W/ that, you can skip the long line?

2 round trips in coach will not get you gold status......

Back