Looking for a bank

Kathy K

Registered
Does anyone have a suggestion of what bank I should use when we arrive in Belgrano (specifically Zapiola & Sucre) that I could wire money too so we have cash to pay for the stuff when we get down there? I know most use ATM's and we will, but we will need more cash than we can get out for the deposit on the apartment, school tuition, ect...

Thanks

you can only wire money to a bank for which you have an account. are you planning on opening an account in argentina? are you aware of the requirements around this? if not search this forum. It is infinitely more difficult than opening an account in the US. Most foreigners in Argentina are not eligible to open an account.

Hi Kathy,

There is a Santander Rio bank at Echeverria and Cramer, which is only about three blocks from Zapiola and Sucre. This particular branch is not usually that busy and it's in a very safe area. When you go in, tell the person manning the front desk that you need to open an account (which you will need to do in order to receive wired money) and they will get your name and put you on the waiting list to speak with the correct person. It's quite a hassle to get an account, but if you are going to be here for awhile, you might as well get it over with. Estella is a manager there and she helps with new accounts. Be prepared to bring tons of documentation. It will be a miracle if you have everything you need the first time, so try and be patient or you will go crazy with frustration. Also, when you receive the wired money, be careful about what you put down on the forms as to who it is from and what it is for, as you can unintentionally create problems for yourself if you aren't thoughtful in completing your documentation. Estella can help you with the whole process...she's a stickler for rules, but she gets everything set up properly to avoid hassles later on.

Best of luck with everything and welcome to Belgrano!

Cheers.

Kathy K said:
Does anyone have a suggestion of what bank I should use when we arrive in Belgrano (specifically Zapiola & Sucre) that I could wire money too so we have cash to pay for the stuff when we get down there? I know most use ATM's and we will, but we will need more cash than we can get out for the deposit on the apartment, school tuition, ect...

Thanks

It can be very hard and bureaucratic to wire money into the country. My suggestion is get a second account with a second ATM card. If you are a student maybe you could ask Mom and Dad to set another account up back home. I think you will find this is probably cheaper and a lot less of a hassle.

Kathy K said:

Thanks

bank stuff here in Argentina is real shit. Take a look to www.xoom.com (like same as Western Union) but much cheaper if you will use it through a US bank account. If you have a DNI you can but it own in U$ on BBVA here in Buenos Aires.

Back