Looking for a rice cooker

I love rice cookers but they are so ungodly expensive here its ridiculous. I've just been cooking rice on the stove.

sdsurfista said:
Also anyone know if Peanut Sauce is available in Barrio Chino ? I know it is traditionally used with Thai dishes so not sure if the Chinese markets will carry it.. thanks !
YES!!

If it comes from East Asia, you can find it in Barrio Chino. (Kimchi, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, Thai Curries, Coconut Milk, Sake, Seaweed Paper, Tofu)

If it comes from Central Asia, you can find it in Barrio Chino. (Indian Curries, Ground Spices, Basmati Rice, Other kinds of rice)

If it comes from Near Asia (the Middle East/Eastern Mediterranean), you might still find it in Barrio Chino. (Tamarind Sauce, Tahini, Molotov Cocktails, rocks)

Barrio Chino did have a lot of stuff I haven't been able to find elsewhere in the city. Even those Chinese knives that are cheap and sharp!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any Thai Chile Peppers. There's plenty of peppers, even hot peppers, but not the same. Hope I can find them somewhere.

Also, the markets there have pepper grinders and real pepper, something I haven't been able to find on St fe

The Japanese or Chinese rice cookers here are unbelievably expensive. I once saw a French-made rice cooker at a reasonable price at a cookware place on Talachuano, but I don't remember the address.

Perhaps you could find something affordable in the restaurant district (on Jujuy).

Roxana said:
I bought mine at the bazar located at the corner of Ayacucho and Arenales.

This store is really great and the prices are reasonable. (I lived within a block for three years and bought many small items there).

My rice cooker is a one quart sauce pan. Never needed anything else. One of my flat mates in a previous life was half Chinese and a restaurant chef. I learned a lot cooking with him. His disdain for "rice cookers" was intense.:D

sdsurfista said:
Also anyone know if Peanut Sauce is available in Barrio Chino ? I know it is traditionally used with Thai dishes so not sure if the Chinese markets will carry it.. thanks !

I make my own; it's super-easy and tastes much better than store-bought. There are a thousand and one recipes online, and you can find all of the ingredients in Barrio Chino (or a combination of Disco and New Garden.)

Back