Looking for a rice cooker

sdsurfista

Registered
Anyone know where I could buy one near Palermo and also Jasmine rice ? Thanks.

There is only ever one answer to the "where can I buy this [insert food/food related product here]" question.

Barrio Chino

They sell rice cookers in a couple of the bigger chinese supermarkets there. And rice. And peanut butter.

I know this may not help you right now but a dear friend of mine from the US brought me down a rice cooker he bought online at a 220 voltage store so it works here but only cost U$35:

http://www.welectronics.com/smallapp2.shtml

I remember going to Barrio Chino years ago to look for a rice cooker and they were not cheap. I would be curious to know what the prices are today as this was years ago... but buying this stuff online at a 220v store is something to keep in mind if you have any friends coming down to visit...

I bought mine at the bazar located at the corner of Ayacucho and Arenales.

I really want to know why anyone needs a rice cooker...as a non-rice cooker user I never understood the need for one as it´s pretty easy to make fluffy rice with a pot of boiling water etc....I am of the live as you learn school so thanks for enlightening me.

I have developed a method to cook rice in the microwave and it comes out just as if you had used a rice cooker, it is awesome to steam rice: just wash it a few times, then add the same volume of water I do 3 cups, 15 mins in high, let sit 10 mins and voila!

Holden said:
I know this may not help you right now but a dear friend of mine from the US brought me down a rice cooker he bought online at a 220 voltage store so it works here but only cost U$35:

http://www.welectronics.com/smallapp2.shtml

I remember going to Barrio Chino years ago to look for a rice cooker and they were not cheap. I would be curious to know what the prices are today as this was years ago...

They're anywhere from AR$300+ (US$75) to well over AR$700 (US$175). They are DEFINITELY not cheap.

fifs2 said:
I really want to know why anyone needs a rice cooker...as a non-rice cooker user I never understood the need for one as it´s pretty easy to make fluffy rice with a pot of boiling water etc....I am of the live as you learn school so thanks for enlightening me.
Above is the question, below is the answer.
cruizes said:
Perfect rice every time!!!!

nikad said:
I have developed a method to cook rice in the microwave and it comes out just as if you had used a rice cooker, it is awesome to steam rice: just wash it a few times, then add the same volume of water I do 3 cups, 15 mins in high, let sit 10 mins and voila!

Not everyone has a microwave. Also, turning some of these gas stoves down to "simmer" is downright impossible. Yes, I know HOW to make perfect rice in theory, but in this country often it is nearly impossible. You need a stone tile or something to place over the flame, but under the pot so that the rice can continue to cook slowly.

I have a friend here who has one or two rice cookers in her kitchen and she's got some rice in there all the time. But then again, she's half Asian.

:p

nikad said:

Hey Awesome suggestion Nikad, I never thought of using a microwave ! I will only be in town for a month so that will help my budget quite a bit. I'll head to barrio chino to get the rice ! Thanks everyone !

Also anyone know if Peanut Sauce is available in Barrio Chino ? I know it is traditionally used with Thai dishes so not sure if the Chinese markets will carry it.. thanks !

Back