Looking for advice on Spanish Schools

Diaconu

Registered
Hi!
I'm in Argentina for 6 months and I'd like to be a fluent spanish speaker when I leave. I tried going to Expanish, but I didn't have a good experience there. Could anyone recommend a spanish school that have worked for you? They all look pretty similar to me! :p
Gracias!
Diaconu

I highly recommend Vos Buenos Aires. They have not only group and private lessons but do a lot of cool (free) extra things like movie nights (Spanish movies with Spanish subtitles), a study session with a teacher around to ask questions, tango and yoga classes, picadas (Argentine gatherings with teachers and students where you snack on things like cheese and salami and drink wine, beer and socialize), barbecues, and we did a few field trips (to a museam and to a police station of all places).

Maggie the owner speaks English fluently. http://www.vosbuenosaires.com/en/

Can I ask what issues you had at Expanish? I used them last year for eight weeks. I took private instruction for two hours a day, five days a week. I had an incredible experience with them and I still keep in contact with my teachers whenever I have grammar questions that I need answered.

What level are you in Spanish?

Salut, Diaconu!
I'm from Belgium and I've been living in Buenos Aires since January. I took 4 months of spanish classes in El Pasaje Spanish School and it was a great experience. I learned spanish quickly and it really helped me at work and in social matters too. You can check their reviews on Trip Advisor, they're really good.

I took classes at a couple different schools and with a couple private tutors. The best resource for me to learn Spanish was with Sandra Gonet at Bueno Dale. She is an amazing teacher and I like how they tailor the classes around learning Spanish in an enjoyable way.

For example nothing makes me tune out more than just going over conjugation tables all day. At Bueno Dale we would talk in Spanish about subjects that I enjoyed, philosophy, politics, music, love, ect so the time would really fly by. And also the homework would be often enjoyable, for example I would translate a favorite poem or summarize a Twilight Zone episode (hah I am a huge fan).

I think the key to learning Spanish is by not making it seem like work, when you enjoy the process it becomes easier and that is what I liked about Bueno Dale.

Here is some advice:
1) for classes try UBA and / or private teacher if you can afford it (private teacher you will lean fastest, especially if they are good). Careful with the tourist schools, most of them are pretty average quality. There are a few good ones as you will see people recommend here (just be careful of post counts, plenty of people from schools come here to provide "first hand" recommendations as well)
2) try and find an apartment with locals or spanish speakers. Even if you cant speak much at first you will pick it up as you go.
3) better than that 2, find a guy(s) / girl(s) to go out with. Español en la cama is not only probs the best way to learn, but much more interesting than learning in a class room
4) spanish music, TV etc
5) pick up a book called Che Boludo (James Brackens). Its basically a dictionary of Argentina lunfardo (slang). You mightnt know whats going on at first, but its really quite helpful.
6) importantly, dont put too much pressure on yourself, especially early. Try and enjoy it and just let it come. Its a good idea to have goals, but thoughts such as I have to be fluent in 6 months may be detrimental

Anyhoo, good luck!

Hey, I went to El Pasaje Spanish School too and I loved it!!! They use they're own learning material including national comics and songs (which also gives you a better approach to the local culture), and I always felt like the teachers were giving their best to make the classes interesting and entertainig. I even ended up going out for drinks with the teachers! They know tones about art, music and literature, we never ran out of conversation! They're awesome people!

If you are looking for private lessons I've had a great experience with B.A. Clases in Almagro! ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/BA-Clases/390140204334262 ) my teacher is very friendly, knowledgeable & helpful with teaching material that I need.

Back