Looking for Apartment with some Character

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a furnished apartment to rent starting in August for 6-12 months, and am having some difficulty. I've been looking at several temporary rental sites, including some that rent directly from the owners, and besides the super expensive ones they all look the same to me. It looks like they were all furnished with really cheap low quality furniture and are kinda tacky/really boring looking (in my opinion).

I know Buenos Aires has lots of beautiful older buildings with high ceilings, balconies, etc. Does anyone have recommendations for finding interesting apartments with some architectural and design character in my price range (USD $500-800)?

Thanks!

You can definitely get that in San Telmo but it's tricky to find an owner without going through an agency.

Our old landlords had great places there for 800 or so (for 2 bedrooms, very large, etc) but through them directly. Through the agency their places were more like 11-1200 (2 or 2.5 bedrooms, 100 m). If I can find their number, I will send it to you, they were really nice and owned several apartments.

I had seen an interesting one in San Telmo, just one bedroom (kithen apart) but with an interesting old look (I liked it a lot but when the agency raised the price because of their salary I had to say no) However it was around 1,800 pesos per month and this was around February (maybe its a little higher now).

I must confess I dont remember the name of the agency as I got there walking, but if you are interested I could try to explain to you where it was) Tonight I only remember that it was near the bridge, had big windows on both sides of the door, crossing the street was a nicer colorful agency and that the agency guy was bald and around his 30ś :p

No balcony, not much light, even maybe "dark", old bathtub, big wooden closet, kind of tormented lonley tango writer place but it was one of the only places I felt was interesting ( I know what you say about this ugly ugly appartments with cheap furniture, like a motel feeling in them although they are "very modern elegant style" jojojo.)

Sorry I cant remember the exact street, but it was on one street in San Telmo where all the action is on Sundays, its next to an icecreamshop that has a wooden bench outisde.. oh, wish somebody could help me with this.
So well, if you are interested in San Telmo and so, open up your eyes for those hints... or tell me and maybe I think it with a map in my hand and can help you find it.

So, I wish you very good luck, dont loose the faith to find something you fall in love for :)

Thanks for the replies.

Ailujjj - I'd really appreciate if you sent me the name of the agency you used.

Soleta - I'll look around for that when I get back to BA in August! If you see it before than I'd love to know the name.

I had pretty much ruled out consulting the traditional real estate offices that you see around because I need a shorter term rental than normal and without guarantia. Have you had success going to real estate agencies that you just see on the streets for temporary rentals?

Back