Looking for apartment

Iwaslukky

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking for an apartment to rent for 1 or 2 years. I have residencia, job with contract and good references. I have a good apartment now, but am looking for something a bit bigger, and without using a garantia.

Anything with some sort of outdoor space (patio, terrace or balcony) is of interest. Preferably furnished. Preferably an older building/ house.

Willing to pay a maximum of arg 2 400/ month incl expensas, and some reasonable commisions. I'll pay a little extra for being foreigner and without garantia but I am not looking for an agency renting flats per months.

I know how rentals work in BA and am in no urgent need, so this is a wild shot. Maybe someone knows someone.... :)

Thanks.

You didn't indicate your preferred barrio, but your chances of finding what you're asking for (amoblado, dueño alquilo sin garantia [because no real estate agency will rent to you without garantia] +patio/terraza) is *extremely* slim for only $2400, even in barrios like caballito/flores/floresta and further off what I call the "tourist grid", unless you already know someone personally who can make the deal.

Standard apartment contracts are 2 years, unfurnished. Anything that's furnished is typically for foreigners and more short-terms stays, which would typically be in increments of six months. Furnished apartments always cost a pretty penny more than unfurnished, and especially with access to the outside beyond a french balcony. A patio/terrace definitely bumps up the desirability and price. If you're only going to be here another year, you should rent furnished. If you're here for two or more you'll be better off for sure furnishing yourself. Likely the only way you'll get a dueño to go around the garantia is if you pay a year up front.

Residencia doesn't matter. All that will matter is your job contact and monthly income. Someone might care about previous renter references, but I never had anybody ask me for that. When I rented, I looked forever (10 apartments per weekend for at least two months). I ulimately settled for a neighborhood that wasn't my preferred barrio because we found a cute little apartment with a nice big patio (50m2 inside, 30m2 outside). I had a garantia and a job reference. We pay $2,000 a month plus $300 expensas, plus the two months of commission to the realtors and not including the other utility expenses (or the expense of putting in light fixtures, buying furniture, etc.). While rents are lower than in the States or elsewhere, BA is no longer cheap.

Another option for you might be shared housing. I've known a few people to rent a room in a large/lovely house that has amazing amenities for a fraction of the price of what it costs to rent a place all to yourself, and you get around the problems of furnishing and guarantor. It just depends on whether or not you can share your space.

www.soloduenos.com.ar is a good place to start. I know there are some other threads that have more extensive listings of apartment search links. Good luck!

MizzMarr said:
You didn't indicate your preferred barrio, but your chances of finding what you're asking for (amoblado, dueño alquilo sin garantia [because no real estate agency will rent to you without garantia] +patio/terraza) is *extremely* slim for only $2400, even in barrios like caballito/flores/floresta and further off what I call the "tourist grid", unless you already know someone personally who can make the deal.

Standard apartment contracts are 2 years, unfurnished. Anything that's furnished is typically for foreigners and more short-terms stays, which would typically be in increments of six months. Furnished apartments always cost a pretty penny more than unfurnished, and especially with access to the outside beyond a french balcony. A patio/terrace definitely bumps up the desirability and price. If you're only going to be here another year, you should rent furnished. If you're here for two or more you'll be better off for sure furnishing yourself. Likely the only way you'll get a dueño to go around the garantia is if you pay a year up front.

Residencia doesn't matter. All that will matter is your job contact and monthly income. Someone might care about previous renter references, but I never had anybody ask me for that. When I rented, I looked forever (10 apartments per weekend for at least two months). I ulimately settled for a neighborhood that wasn't my preferred barrio because we found a cute little apartment with a nice big patio (50m2 inside, 30m2 outside). I had a garantia and a job reference. We pay $2,000 a month plus $300 expensas, plus the two months of commission to the realtors and not including the other utility expenses (or the expense of putting in light fixtures, buying furniture, etc.). While rents are lower than in the States or elsewhere, BA is no longer cheap.

Another option for you might be shared housing. I've known a few people to rent a room in a large/lovely house that has amazing amenities for a fraction of the price of what it costs to rent a place all to yourself, and you get around the problems of furnishing and guarantor. It just depends on whether or not you can share your space.

www.soloduenos.com.ar is a good place to start. I know there are some other threads that have more extensive listings of apartment search links. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your kind tips!

As I said, I'm really fine where I am. Dueno directo, sin garantia, amoblado and a never ending contract, 1 200 inclusive expensas in palermo. Many would be happy wih less.

My stay here has no planned end so I'm probably looking into buy something within a few years and until then I would simply like something a little bigger. I wouldn't want to go back to sharing apartment. Renting something furnitured for a year doesn't have a point since I only would end up paying more for something similar to what I have. With my salary I'm fine paying about what I mentioned above.

Hm... when I'm writing this I'm thinking..."I should probably stay where I am"
...but you never know... Sometimes you're lucky.
Or maybe I should stop dreaming.

Thats true about Buenos Aires not being cheap anymore even in what used to be secondary barrios. For example, I used to live in Villa Urquiza up until November. My neighbors were renters, they paid $2,500 + $400 expensas + ABL and utilities for a 2 bedroom with 1+1/2 baths and a terrace. Nice quiet area but no good shopping, and the neighborhood was DEAD at night nothing to do at all, except maybe go out for ice cream. Also one really crappy thing they do here is, if you rent through an inmobiliaria and they manage the apartment for the dueño, after 2 years when you renew the contract, they charge you commission just like when you rented the apartment the first time. So on the 2nd renewal you pay higher rent, and have to add to the security deposit to compensate for the higher rent, PLUS 2 months commision for an apartment where you are already living. VERY unethical.......

No problem! You didn't mention what you have already, and by the sounds of it you have a *great* deal right now. I'd say keep your eyes out (you never know!), but it's unlikely that you'll find better. If I were you I'd likely hold on to what you have until you're ready to buy. $1,200 in Palermo (you're talking pesos, right?) is practically unheard of but for the smallest of small studios.

David, I've been told that if you renew a contract you're not supposed to have to pay the commission again! I know that sometimes those sneaky inmob's will try to pull a fast one on the unsuspecting, but from what I understand that's not how it *should* go down.

(but never stop dreaming, that's when you start to die;) )

MizzMarr said:
No problem! You didn't mention what you have already, and by the sounds of it you have a *great* deal right now. I'd say keep your eyes out (you never know!), but it's unlikely that you'll find better. If I were you I'd likely hold on to what you have until you're ready to buy. $1,200 in Palermo (you're talking pesos, right?) is practically unheard of but for the smallest of small studios.

David, I've been told that if you renew a contract you're not supposed to have to pay the commission again! I know that sometimes those sneaky inmob's will try to pull a fast one on the unsuspecting, but from what I understand that's not how it *should* go down.

Haha... I'll keep my dream alive.

MizzMarr said:

I totally agree, nobody should be paying a real estate commission for an apartment that they already live in, however hopefully people realize the lack of ethics in business here, I hope. Always be aware of what you agree to and/or sign because the offending party will usually be RELENTLESS in their pursuit of your money. I come from New York City, where by nature we are suspicious of people, however what I have experienced and seen and heard here in Buenos Aires, is much much worse than anything I have dealt with in New York. Here contracts even if they are signed, stamped, certified are rarely upheld. It´s kind of like nothing is worth the paper it´s written on if you´ve ever heard that expression. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!!

Back