Looking for beer lovers and homebrewers

dunno if the antares here in mendoza is the same as in bs as, but i go to wash down trail dust at "japi" hour.. the cream stout is good and two pints for 28 pesos is spot on (happy hour 2 for 1)

Okay, anyone who's interested in a BA Expats trip to Buena Birra Social Club should PM me.

In the meantime, I'll be working on trying as many of the other beers around here as I can (Antares, Gülmen, etc). I checked out Cossab last night and tried their Rojiza and Negra - the Rojiza was kind of meh for my taste, but I thought the Negra was pretty good.

el_expatriado said:
Has anyone tried Quilmes? There are several flavors... :D

I actually like the Quilmes 1890.

It's fairly close to a German pilsner in the Becks/Bitburger/St. Pauli's Girl mold.

It's much more bitter than the traditional Quilmes Cristal... and well, than ALL of the rest of the Quilmes line.

It's now my "go to" beer if I'm going to take a liter or two to a party. It's much less expensive and much better than the (domestically brewed) Budweiser, Heineken, Stella Artois, and Warsteiner beers.

Hoppiest IPA in Argentina I've found so far: Boudicca's American IPA sold only at the Buenos Aires outdoor market (http://www.facebook.com/BoudiccaBeer)
Second hoppiest: Triskell IPA (found at Bodega Cervecera in Palermo)

Buena Birra is defintely the place to go in Buenos Aires. Their Mild, Bitter and Orange IPA are great. Their Rauchbier is phenomenal if you can get it. Buller has a good Argentine stout. Antares Imperial Stout is a good dark beer and they have a good Wee Heavy. Cervelar to try the whole range.

If you go to Bariloche, try Manush, Gilbert and Berlina for great toasty stouts.

ClaireJ said:
Wow, lots of negativity on here...

haha... I thought the same when I joined this site 3 months ago. People tend to use this site to b*tch a lot. I suppose everybody needs to vent cultural frustrations from time to time...

My take on it is listen to the advice, and try not to let the negativity get to you!

if anyone knows how i can get hops and malt here in mendoza, i would be appreciative...

Okay, anyone who's interested in a BA Expats trip to Buena Birra Social Club should PM me.

In the meantime, I'll be working on trying as many of the other beers around here as I can (Antares, Gülmen, etc). I checked out Cossab last night and tried their Rojiza and Negra - the Rojiza was kind of meh for my taste, but I thought the Negra was pretty good.

I do not know what Cossab puts in their IPA but it is not a pleasant taste and their Scotch will have you suffering the next day. I will try the Negra next visit.

Depending on the supermarkets near you look out for otro mundo in 330ml bottles. I pick them up for around 7pesos a pop at my Coto where as in some palermo bars its 35pesos!

As for bars there are lots to try and its all part of the adventure here - Happy tasting!

Wow, lots of negativity on here... luckily those prices are still cheaper than DC (seriously! DC has the most expensive beer prices in the US), and I don't like hoppy beers anyway :)

You're right Claire, no one on this thread has any idea what they are talking about. The beer in Argentina is amazing. Have you tried Quilmes yet? You are in for a treat!

Back