Looking for Decent Nightlife Drinking Buddies and More!

esensies

Registered
I’m of Argentine descent, but a U.S. citizen by birth. I’ve been moving between countries since I was like 2. The thing is, I’m kinda awkward, and have like 0 friends. Even my cousins here dislike me (I may or may not be exaggerating). It’s just that I feel I don’t fit in, and yet, I love the ambience and the night life in BA. I love going out when I’m free from work, and I do so every weekend. Unfortunately, I almost always go out by myself, and it sucks. Yes, women here are beautiful, and unfortunately, they know it! They are extremely pretentious, too! They hold high expectations for absolutely everything: age, income, lifestyle, body, skin/hair color, etc. Not only that, but people in general are distrusting and classist here. Unless you know someone from childhood through high school, you are doomed to loneliness here. My family is from an extremely humble background here in Argentina, and it seems that people sense it and that your background condemns you to coexist with danger in crime-ridden areas, as well as with rejection. I’m here because I wanna meet decent people who are worth my time instead of the pretentious, third-world idiots I have encountered so far! Also, I prefer people who are frugal like me, and who won’t snarl at drinking off-brand, supermarket beer or cheap vodka/gin!

Last edited:
Gosh! That reads more like a dating ad than a reaching out for friendship!

@sts7049 makes a very good suggestion.

In much the same way as "life is what happens while you are making other plans" I'd say that friendships are what happen when you are doing other stuff.

All the best. I hope it works out for you.

I’d be apprehensive about holding too negative views about people from a specific place - in this case Buenos Aires. Every country has its fair share of nice people, as well as pelotudos.

Being British myself, I also feel at times wary or whether I can possibly fit in within a country that was most recently at war with my country and I am very conscious of potential problems I could face here for my nationality - but I haven’t encountered any yet.

From my experience of many countries across the world, Buenos Aires is extremely open and friendly for an extranjero going to a bar and having a drink by themselves and to have a friendly conversation. Admittedly, I can only speak from a perspective of touristic areas of Buenos Aires.

I would wholeheartedly recommend you go to a BAExpats coffee chat on a Tuesday - you won’t meet a lovelier bunch of people throughout the world who are so eager to share advice, experiences, and friendly conversation in Buenos Aires

Last edited:
It's hard to suggest activities without knowing your age bracket and gender , as well as preferences..
A good place to start is MeetUp BA and Internations BA Groups for varied activities. Attend events at binational Institutes :Alliance Francaise , Goethe, Dante Alighieri, etc. For starters..
Good luck

I’d be apprehensive about holding too negative views about people from a specific place - in this case Buenos Aires. Every country has its fair share of nice people, as well as pelotudos.

Being British myself, I also feel at times wary or whether I can possibly fit in within a country that was most recently at war with my country and I am very conscious of potential problems I could face here for my nationality - but I haven’t encountered any yet.

From my experience of many countries across the world, Buenos Aires is extremely open and friendly for an extranjero going to a bar and having a drink by themselves and to have a friendly conversation. Admittedly, I can only speak from a perspective of touristic areas of Buenos Aires.

I would wholeheartedly recommend you go to a BAExpats coffee chat on a Tuesday - you won’t meet a lovelier bunch of people throughout the world who are so eager to share advice, experiences, and friendly conversation in Buenos Aires

I’m of Argentine descent, but a U.S. citizen by birth. I’ve been moving between countries since I was like 2. The thing is, I’m kinda awkward, and have like 0 friends. Even my cousins here dislike me (I may or may not be exaggerating). It’s just that I feel I don’t fit in, and yet, I love the ambience and the night life in BA. I love going out when I’m free from work, and I do so every weekend. Unfortunately, I almost always go out by myself, and it sucks. Yes, women here are beautiful, and unfortunately, they know it! They are extremely pretentious, too! They hold high expectations for absolutely everything: age, income, lifestyle, body, skin/hair color, etc. Not only that, but people in general are distrusting and classist here. Unless you know someone from childhood through high school, you are doomed to loneliness here. My family is from an extremely humble background here in Argentina, and it seems that people sense it and that your background condemns you to coexist with danger in crime-ridden areas, as well as with rejection. I’m here because I wanna meet decent people who are worth my time instead of the pretentious, third-world idiots I have encountered so far! Also, I prefer people who are frugal like me, and who won’t snarl at drinking off-brand, supermarket beer or cheap vodka/gin!
Agree with Jtee125 post.
Try change your outlook and negativity towards the locals, you are going to find that in all cities. Most locals here, especially in late night bars and out for a night out are friendly and especially if you have a grasp of the language. Most under 30 have a good level of English too and rarely will you come across people who are straight up rude and unsociable.
Perhaps change your approach and where you have been going and what you are doing in the city. I’ve met some great people and now end up at asados and all sorts with people from all parts of the city before I even spoke any of the language.
Put yourself out there. I don’t think Argentina and Argentinians are quite what you picture them to be

@Jtee125 I thought similar to you in regards to the English factor, but I’m yet to ever come across a single problem. A couple of conversations with the odd older chap in a cafe who’s curious on our perspective maybe. A couple of times young people I’ve got chatting too on a night out joke about giving them back, as far as it’s ever gone for me anyway.

It's hard to suggest activities without knowing your age bracket and gender , as well as preferences..
A good place to start is MeetUp BA and Internations BA Groups for varied activities. Attend events at binational Institutes :Alliance Francaise , Goethe, Dante Alighieri, etc. For starters..
Good luck
I’m negative sometimes and I’m over 30

Unless you want to go out with 60+ old Yankees and talk about Perón, lawfare and other conspiracy theories, I think this is the wrong place for you here. I must also say that your overall negativity probably doesn't sound very appealing to most others ("third world idiots"). Good luck to you anyway.

There's a free language sharing website called Tandem that you could use to meet people. Your English-speaking skills will enable you to meet people who want to practice English in Buenos Aires and all over the world. You can develop your conversation skills from the comfort of your home. You could also use the meetup app to find free social events in the city every week.

Agree with Jtee125 post.
Try change your outlook and negativity towards the locals, you are going to find that in all cities. Most locals here, especially in late night bars and out for a night out are friendly and especially if you have a grasp of the language. Most under 30 have a good level of English too and rarely will you come across people who are straight up rude and unsociable.
Perhaps change your approach and where you have been going and what you are doing in the city. I’ve met some great people and now end up at asados and all sorts with people from all parts of the city before I even spoke any of the language.
Put yourself out there. I don’t think Argentina and Argentinians are quite what you picture them to be

@Jtee125 I thought similar to you in regards to the English factor, but I’m yet to ever come across a single problem. A couple of conversations with the odd older chap in a cafe who’s curious on our perspective maybe. A couple of times young people I’ve got chatting too on a night out joke about giving them back, as far as it’s ever gone for me anyway.
I’ve played golf with ex militares and been served by a nice lady with a massive Malvinas Argentina signs in her sweet shop no one has ever had anything negative to say when I’ve said I was British. Think it’s just a militant Peronist wing who may have something to say. Either that or they’re all
Cagones and won’t say anything to your face. 😃

Back