Looking For Good Cooking Items And Bagels:)

If you are from New York City, as I am you will like the Big Apple Restaurant...the owner is a native New Yorker, they have Bagels, Lox, and other good stuff. Ask for Jack.....
http://www.bigapplebuenosaires.com/

I doubt that the owner is a native New Yorker, their website greets you with the theme from Cheers which is about a bar in BOSTON!!!! Given the intense sports rivalry between the two cities, going back to when The NY Yankees bought Babe Ruth from Boston Red Sox and left Boston with 'Curse of the Bambino' for the next 86 years, its not a mistake that a real New Yorker would make. More likely a New Yorker would use 'I love Paris" at his restaurant before using a song about Boston .
Then I looked at their menu which contains dishes named after an assortment of NYC neighborhoods like New Dorp, Tottenville and Midwood, mostly known for being tough places to grow up.
Well they can call it whatever they want but its the same old boring, limited BsAs menu of milanesa and empanadas and hamburgers and pizza.
They do have bagels and smoked salmon so it might be worth the trip just for that.
Here's what a real NYC diner's menu looks like (its from Toms, the diner featured in Seinfeld).
http://www.tomsresta...t.net/menu.html
Corned beef, turkey, french toast, banana nut pancakes, pastrami, Virginia ham. And of course bagels.

I doubt that the owner is a native New Yorker, their website greets you with the theme from Cheers which is about a bar in BOSTON!!!! Given the intense sports rivalry between the two cities, going back to when The NY Yankees bought Babe Ruth from Boston Red Sox and left Boston with 'Curse of the Bambino' for the next 86 years, its not a mistake that a real New Yorker would make. More likely a New Yorker would use 'I love Paris" at his restaurant before using a song about Boston .
Then I looked at their menu which contains dishes named after an assortment of NYC neighborhoods like New Dorp, Tottenville and Midwood, mostly known for being tough places to grow up.
Well they can call it whatever they want but its the same old boring, limited BsAs menu of milanesa and empanadas and hamburgers and pizza.
They do have bagels and smoked salmon so it might be worth the trip just for that.
Here's what a real NYC diner's menu looks like (its from Toms, the diner featured in Seinfeld).
http://www.tomsresta...t.net/menu.html
Corned beef, turkey, french toast, banana nut pancakes, pastrami, Virginia ham. And of course bagels.
I know for a fact that the owner is a native New Yorker. The reason he chose the theme song from Cheers on the restaurant's website was to create a feeling of that familiar, hometown, comfortable place that everyone loves to go to.
While they don't have all of those items that you mention, they do serve North American style breakfasts, the bagels are delicious and they have them in different varieties, and yes, very tasty lox. You can get pastrami, corned beef and turkey breast and other jewish deli-style foods at some restaurants in Villa Crespo.
Anyway I highly recommend Big Apple Restaurant. The food is good, the atmosphere is great and Jack the manager is a super all around nice guy. Try it out.

So you have to be from Boston to use the theme song from Cheers? Cheers is a classic. I love it, and I'm not from Boston.

I never said that. Or anything vaguely similar. If you want to pick a fight you'll have to learn to read first.

There is Jewish fish shop near Angel Gallardo stop on the B line on Corrientes on the drivers side of traffic....It sells fish(obv), bagels, knishes,
That's good to know,
Virginia ham, pancakes, turkey, are non-Jewish foods found in NY diners, like Toms, that I would love to see here.

Kitchen and Restaurant supplies-
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]JuJuy, right around the autopista from San Juan to Juan de Garay[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]this is the neighborhood where the restaurant supply stores are located- there are 5 or 10 of them, at least. They have reasonably priced, durable stuff for professional kitchens, not fancy expensive imported brands.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]also, Doña Clara, Av.Corrientes 2561 is highly recommended for baking and cooking supplies- they have all kinds of fancy baking stuff, not so much ordinary pots and pans.[/background]

Though you get the same stuff in the Mercado Central much cheaper! Worth the trip if you are kitting out your kitchen from nothing.

The turkey would be nice....people don't really eat turkey here...You can find whole ham legs and "pavito", which is said to be turkey....but I think it might actually be a carrancho....

I never said that. Or anything vaguely similar. If you want to pick a fight you'll have to learn to read first.

I'm not the one trying to pick a fight. I don't know the owner of this establishment that claims to be from NYC, but just because he uses music from the Boston show "Cheers" doesn't mean he's not a New Yorker. I admit it's unusual considering the name of the place, but then again, everyone loves Cheers.

Since i am in the market for some quality pot, I decided to walk (sorry, a quality pot), I decided to walk over to the recommended store at Talcahuano 963. Stores like this one are a peso a dozen. William Sonoma need not worry, nor should K mart or Crap Mart. There is an excellent kitchen store in the Design Center; ground floor at the entrance. For the address check out the address of the BA Hard Rock Cafe that's in the same building.

In the past few weeks I joined the Coffee Chat folk twice a casual dining spots. About 2 weeks ago it was at the Big Apple Restaurant.Isn't "Big Apple" a term that hasn't been used in ages? regardless, how many Portenos would know what the term meant? (There were about 5 salads on th menu named after Staten Island (my hometown) neighborhooods; none of them being too nice. Weird !) This past Wednesday we went to a restaurant at Vera 601 (name unknown), near Scalabrini Ortz. I had a bagel, lox and cream cream cheese sandwich at both places. On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being best, I'd give The Big Apple an 8 an the Vera an 88.

Reactions: Joe
Back