Looking For Specific Fruits

Where can I buy Mermelada de Moras Casero with huge pieces of moras in it ??? dead flies never mind...!

hqdefault.jpg

Mermelada-de-Moras.jpg

7241844-mermelada-de-mora.jpg

Here in Argentinian Patagonia my neighbor is fighting a huge bramble (blackberries, moras, björnbär) whatever you want to call it. It is threatening to take over her vegetable garden with its root shoots. And yes, they have huge thorns. The only way to get to the fruits is with a machete.

Calafates?

Googled it and got pictures of beautiful glaciers first :rolleyes: Then tried calafate berry, saw it and a decision to eat it followed right next! I'm kinda obsessed with local weed berries everywhere, no chance of missing this one! I believe in some sort of magic, when it comes to local weed plants. The ultimate ultra-organic.

Tilda, sorry but I can't resist... have you found down there in Patagonia something at least remotely similar to Swedish "hjortron"? :wub: Severely addicted...

Attachments

• hjortron1.jpg
    hjortron1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
Googled it and got pictures of beautiful glaciers first :rolleyes: Then tried calafate berry, saw it and a decision to eat it followed right next! I'm kinda obsessed with local weed berries everywhere, no chance of missing this one! I believe in some sort of magic, when it comes to local weed plants. The ultimate ultra-organic.

In season (not now), Helados Jauja has a tremendous calafate con leche de oveja ice cream.

What is the season? I mean, not for the ice cream. For the real thing :wub:

Calefate is pretty tasty, never seen it farmed/sold in Argentina though. You can get liquor and jam though so someone somewhere must be farming it.

I read the Falklands are pissed cause it's rapidly invading their land though. :lol:

I'm not keen on Hjortron, I was brought up too south. I haven't found anything that resembles neither that nor Swedish blueberries. Those you get here are fine, but the kind that is white inside. Lovely, but not as intense as the ones I love.

What is the season? I mean, not for the ice cream. For the real thing :wub:

Calafate is a summer fruit. Jauja depends on locals who collect it in and around El Bolsón, where they make their ice cream. They ship it to Buenos Aires.

Calefate is pretty tasty, never seen it farmed/sold in Argentina though. You can get liquor and jam though so someone somewhere must be farming it.

I read the Falklands are pissed cause it's rapidly invading their land though. :lol:

In the Falklands they have diddle-dee (http://en.wikipedia....Empetrum_rubrum), which is native to both the Islands and the continent, and even to Tristan da Cunha. It's used for a common homemade jam.

Back