Looking For Toursity Stuff To Do With Visitor

Those interested in history should simply walk around the city a lot and not only visit the very general attractions other people have mentioned in this thread (I am sure your father would be more interested in the architecture of San Telmo than the tourist fair there.)

I'll just mention a few things that come to my mind: go and see seemingly random (but historically interesting) buildings like Palacio Barolo, Edificio Kavanagh (unfortunately I don't think you can enter it that easily, but I am mostly referring to the exterior part and the buildings that surround it), famous bars like Café de los Angelitos, slowly walk the Avenida de Mayo, where you can also find a museum about tango, in case he's interested in that also check out the Chacarita cemetery, see the building of the UBA department of Ingeneria in Recoleta, walk past some of the show-off mansions in Palermo, make sure you go for a stroll in San Telmo: if you leave your camera at home, it's definitely interesting to go as south as the Avenida Caseros and see the beautiful architecture there, just be careful about wandering too much towards the south or the autopista. I know that San Telmo is often very touristy in a negative way, but history buffs on a short visit will enjoy this barrio much more than most of the other ones. Of course, there is a lot to see in barrios like Boedo and Almagro but that's all a bit less accessible when you're trying to give a newcomer a tour.

I am not sure if you can still visit the ESMA building, but that would be interesting too. (Someone please correct me if you actually do have recent info, unlike me)

I am very much interested in history too, and I lament the fact that there is not really any actually impressive museum about the history of Argentina/Buenos Aires if you compare it to those you can find in cities like Berlin, Krakow (Poland), even Santiago de Chile. Does anyone know if the (former) museum in a building called ''Hotel de Inmigrantes'' has been reopened already? I last tried it in 2012 but I am not in BA right now so I can't check. I also remember a museum about the early history of Argentina near Parque Lezama. You might wanna check that out.

Here are some good history/architecture sights and tours:
· El Zanjon: Tunnels and mystery. Defensa 755, San Telmo. Guided tours M0n-Fri 11:00-15:00 (60 min English tour starts 12, 3 and 3pm) and Sun 1-6pm (30 minute tour starts on the half hour). www.elzanjon.com.ar English tours cost AR120pp for 1 hour or AR75 pp for 30 mins.​
· Palacio Barola: A building inspired by Dante’s Divine Comedy. See the city from above. Av de Mayo 1370 9°, Congreso. Day tours Mon & Thurs at 4, 5, 6 & 7pm without reservation and Sat 5pm with reservation. . www.palaciobarolotours.com.ar Duration 45mins, cost AR75pp.​
· Palacio de Aguas Corrientes: “the Palace of Flowing Waters” (or the old city reservoir). Riobamba 750 - 1° Piso, Facultad / Balvanera. Museum open Mon-Fri 9am -1pm. Free. The best part is the building itself. www.aysa.com.ar/index.php?id_seccion=489 or http://en.wikipedia...._Company_Palace
· Museo Evita. Lafinur 2988, near Plaza Italia, Palermo. Tues – Sun 11am – 7pm. www.museoevita.org. Also try the great restaurant inside or in the courtyard. Best to make a booking as it is very popular (and not overly expensive).Mon-Sat 9am to midnight, Sun 9am – 7pm.​
· Abasto shopping and surrounding streets. Carlos Gardel station, Linea B subte. The shopping centre is a great piece of architecture – originally one of the large produce markets serviced from the port by underground railway (no, not the subte). http://en.wikipedia....de_Buenos_Aires. Nearby is the Carlos Gardel museo, Jean Jaures 735. Open Mon, Wed, Thurs Fri 11am – 6pm., and weekends 10am – 7pm. http://agendacultura...rlos-gardel/697. Entry fee AR1pp.​
· Casa Rosada. Plaza de Mayo. Office of the President. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Casa_Rosada. Free tours available in the weekends: visit the office of the president, and stand on the famous balcony. www.presidencia.gov.ar/visitas-guiadas Dec - April 11am – 7pm. Enter from Plaza de Mayo and get your tickets (free) then wait for the next tour party. Most guides have some English. Also, behind and underneath Casa Rosada is the Museo del Bicentenario, Paseo Colon 100. Dec-Mar 11am – 7pm. www.museobicentenario.gob.ar. Entry free. There is some great stuff here, including many videos of past eras – mostly in castellano.​
· Two hour walking tours in Congreso(11am) and Plaza San Martin (5pm) areas. I can recommend the free tours at www.bafreetour.com. Lively commentary in English on all the sights in the area. Six days a week (not Sundays). Free – but you should tip the guide.​

Those interested in history should simply walk around the city a lot and not only visit the very general attractions other people have mentioned in this thread (I am sure your father would be more interested in the architecture of San Telmo than the tourist fair there.)

I'll just mention a few things that come to my mind: go and see seemingly random (but historically interesting) buildings like Palacio Barolo, Edificio Kavanagh (unfortunately I don't think you can enter it that easily, but I am mostly referring to the exterior part and the buildings that surround it), famous bars like Café de los Angelitos, slowly walk the Avenida de Mayo, where you can also find a museum about tango, in case he's interested in that also check out the Chacarita cemetery, see the building of the UBA department of Ingeneria in Recoleta, walk past some of the show-off mansions in Palermo, make sure you go for a stroll in San Telmo: if you leave your camera at home, it's definitely interesting to go as south as the Avenida Caseros and see the beautiful architecture there, just be careful about wandering too much towards the south or the autopista. I know that San Telmo is often very touristy in a negative way, but history buffs on a short visit will enjoy this barrio much more than most of the other ones. Of course, there is a lot to see in barrios like Boedo and Almagro but that's all a bit less accessible when you're trying to give a newcomer a tour.

I am not sure if you can still visit the ESMA building, but that would be interesting too. (Someone please correct me if you actually do have recent info, unlike me)

I am very much interested in history too, and I lament the fact that there is not really any actually impressive museum about the history of Argentina/Buenos Aires if you compare it to those you can find in cities like Berlin, Krakow (Poland), even Santiago de Chile. Does anyone know if the (former) museum in a building called ''Hotel de Inmigrantes'' has been reopened already? I last tried it in 2012 but I am not in BA right now so I can't check. I also remember a museum about the early history of Argentina near Parque Lezama. You might wanna check that out.

I have heard the Kavanagh is now open for visits, but can't recall the details. A friend of mine, Claudia Bernardi, is painting a mural at the ESMA.

Go on the free walking tour from plaza italia at 11am. It covers a lot. You go to abasto then through to congresso and then casa rosada, you learn a ton if history along the way. The guide is awesome, it's an excellent way to start a visit to the city.

I don't intend to insult anyone, but for me that's one of the most terrible attractions in the whole city.

Agree, it was pretty terrible, the museum is worth visiting though. I didn't enjoy an accidental 10 minutes in Dock Sud either... Whoops

His visit won't be complete without seeing one of the "touristy" tango dinner shows. I recommend either Esquina Gardel in front of the Abasto shopping mall or Tango Porteno on Cerrito. If you want to skip the expensive dinner, make reservations for the show only (including a drink).

Back