Looking For Two Specific Things In This City.

Unfortunately in Argentina there is no such thing as "regular stock", not even in supermarkets.
Sometimes products are gone for weeks, and nobody is able to tell you when they will return. They will take down the price label from the shelf, and you will end up wondering if you only dreamed to even finding Nutella in that place.

Nutella is not very popular here, but usually in bigger supermarkets you should have a fair chance to find it. Another option are small drugstores that carry specialty foods.
Also, the smaller jar sold here (I think it's 200 g) is kind of a theft since is more the cream that goets stuck on the side of the jar than the one you are actually able to enjoy. Look for the bigger jar (should be around 350 g).

As for ciggies, I can't help you. I doubt they carry the same brand here, but anyway the same brand has different flavors depending on the country where they are sold. E.g. the famous Marlboro is stronger in the US, mildly strong in Europe and very little strong here, in my experience. Since you have to rely on the local tobacco, start with a brand and then ask for something stronger/weaker or more/less aromatic.
There are 10 cigarettes pack of the most famous brands (Marlboro, Lucky Strike, Camel), then regular 20 cigarettes pack and bulk tobacco (if you have the patience to make your own cigarette).

Nutella is not very popular here

I'm quite surprised about that honestly, I thought Nutella would be popular here since there are so many bakeries and sweet shops. Until I get my hands on some I found a dulce de leche + chocolate + honey paste that's been replacing it pretty well. Despite it pretty much being diabetes in a jar.

They simply know nothing outside dulce de leche.

Croissants with jam? Don't exist.
A cake with pastry cream? Please, only dulce de leche.
Chocolate cupcake? Are you crazy?!
A simple crostata with marmelade? They call it pasta frolla and stuff it with dulce de leche.

A simple crostata with marmelade? They call it pasta frolla and stuff it with dulce de leche.

Have you tried the pasta frola with patata o with membrillo? They're pretty good.

Pasta frola with dulce de leche? Never have seen that - pasta frola is made with membrillo.

Pasta frola with dulce de leche?

My usual luck, then! I was at a family table with a salty/sweet buffet, everyone brought something, and someone brought that from a pastry store.
I made one myself and they literally ate the whole cake instantly (not to compete, nothing was planned). I was about to throw my cake because to me it was terrible, for them it was superlative. <_<

Back