Looking to invest $1 million USD in Argentina - what should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am undoubtedly too far from Capital Federal to provide a good location for your purpose, and I would not be able to accomodate more than a few individuals at any given time.

I can imagine this property would need a lot of work to accomodate a number of overnight guests, but it may be worth checking out, as the intital investment is incredibly low and the building is beautiful (if not inspirational). Hopefully, it has papers "al día" and an escritura would be possible.

https://terreno.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-885802615-casco-de-estancia-patrimonio-para-quinta-privada-o-explotacion-turistica-_JM
that looks good value for money and not too far from centre of BsAs

that looks good value for money and not too far from centre of BsAs
It's cheap for at least one reason. For most it would be a "white elephant" but for your purposes it might be the buy of a lifetime, even if you have to spend $100K to $150K to make it usable (with nice overnight guest accomodations and a kitchen capable of providing adequate meals) as well as housing for a small, permanent staff.(perhaps a gardner, a maid, and a cook).

Last edited:
I am undoubtedly too far from Capital Federal to provide a good location for your purpose, and I would not be able to accomodate more than a few individuals at any given time.

I can imagine this property would need a lot of work to accomodate a number of overnight guests, but it may be worth checking out, as the intital investment is incredibly low and the building is beautiful (if not inspirational). Hopefully, it has papers "al día" and an escritura would be possible.

https://terreno.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-885802615-casco-de-estancia-patrimonio-para-quinta-privada-o-explotacion-turistica-_JM

It is funny…

I left New York in October, after many years living and working there. I had many friends, but there was a special person, who helped me a lot, an Argentine lady (26 years older than me), who was like a kind of "adopted aunt" to me, and was my family during all these years, although she was not my direct family. During the years that I was in contact with her.I heard many stories of her life and her family. Among those stories, she told me about a big house (farm)in José C Paz, owned by her parents / grandparents / great-grandparents, where she and her siblings used to spend a lot of time, especially in summer.
I would have liked to see the place, although that place stopped being visited by the family long before she emigrated to the US (when she was still living in Argentina, the house was no longer theirs). At some point the house was sold or something happened ...(I guess there could have been a kind of family conflict). The fact is that they never returned, the time passed by and she left the country to live in Queens, NY.

I am pretty sure that is the house of the many stories she told me. She used to mention "el mirador" and the gallery with archs....

Finally I was able to see it. Beautiful place.
How do I know it was her place? Her last name was the same than in the description of the property: Altube. She passed away this past February at the age of 91.

What a small world!

I would have liked to see the place, although that place stopped being visited by the family long before she emigrated to the US (when she was still living in Argentina, the house was no longer theirs). At some point the house was sold or something happened ...(I guess there could have been a kind of family conflict).

The price of the house could also be so low if the property is occupied by squatters and/or the sale is only by cede de derechos de posesión (without clear title and the possibility to have escritura). If the title is not in the seller's name or is in the process of sucesión I would be very cautious..

The price of the house could also be so low if the property is occupied by squatters and/or the sale is only by cede de derechos de posesión (without clear title and the possibility to have escritura). If the title is not in the seller's name or is in the process of sucesión I would be very cautious..
Low price = HIGH RISK!

Double your investment in 5 years? just give me the million and see me in half that time

It's cheap for at least one reason. For most it would be a "white elephant" but for your purposes it might be the buy of a lifetime, even if you have to spend $100K to $150K to make it usable (with nice overnight guest accomodations and a kitchen capable of providing adequate meals) as well as housing for a small, permanent staff.(perhaps a gardner, a maid, and a cook).
I did some research on it. Its in a very very dangerous/dirty part of GBA

MIRADOR DE ALTUBE.png
Belonged to Maria Berro, Felix Altube's widow, and their twelve children.

"En 1888, dado el crecimiento de la familia con el casamiento de los hijos y nacimiento de los nietos,María Berro amplió el edificio del casco de la estancia construyendo una nueva ala y levantando una torre,que servía de mirador para cuidar el ganado del robo de los cuatreros.El 18 de octubre de 1889, se creó el Partido de General Sarmiento, quedando el establecimiento conocido ya como “El Mirador de Altube”, dentro de la jurisdicción del nuevo partido."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back