Looking to invest $1 million USD in Argentina - what should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The locals are paid very well for living in argentina but still Much less than they can pay someone in the US.

I would take some exception to your comment regarding ''quality of service''.....professionalism is taught and monitored....it does not exist without training and oversight.....in most large corporations doing business in Argentina, it is not even a concern.....if no one at the top cares, then no one at the bottom cares either....banks in Argentina are an excellent example of nobody even concerning themselves with customer service or even being competent.....on the other hand, with local operations where the owner is involved, I experience the exact opposite......customer service that goes above and beyond, with excellent results.... the line workers don't establish policy, so they cannot be held to blame....blame the ''suits''.....they should not be immune to the damage their incompetence creates......in regards to wages.....if you can't afford to pay a living wage then you have no business being in business.
With few exceptions, the staff at my bank really extends themselves to provide the services I need, despite my poor Spanish. They have earned the high level of respect I hold for them.

As far as service goes in Argentina, I have found you get back what you put out- I have had many long term excellent relationships with many argentine businesses, and, yes, that would include individual bankers at big banks. I have been given gifts by store owners, discounts, free entrance to shows, comped for meals, and consider several to be pretty good friends at this point. I have places where if I didnt have the cash, they would allow me to pay next time. Its all about building relationships in Argentina.

Me, I dont believe in alarmist youtube videos saying the world is ending.
So If I was investing money in Argentina, it would be in classic architecture in a good neighborhood in Buenos Aires. I passed up entire houses in Palermo Hollywood for $100k USD in 2007 that are worth over a million today. The good places, the classic apartments, the wonderful old buildings, will still be worth more. A half floor apartment high up in the Kavanaugh, for example...

The other thing you could invest in is the Ferrari 348 TB that used to be owned by Presidente Carlos Menem. Surely that is worth a milion dollars, and, as we all know, Ferrari's only go up. ( a non-Menem 348 is only worth 60k to 80k, but we are talking celebrity ownership here).

Now, a real proposal:
Move to the San Luis province (with a very nice weather), and plant a bunch of date palm trees.
The climate is very similar to Palms Spring, Ca, (where there are many date trees).
People here love the dates, and it could be an export comodity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back