Looking to make the move

Harold

Registered
Hello, I have been looking for such a site for months and here you are. I'm an attorney in the US. I'm looking to make the move to Argentina. Though it will probably be a year or two out. What I'd like to know if any of you would be so kind as to help would be your opinions as to the need for legal services in dealing with USG in Argentina among US expats or among Argentine citizens. Specifically I'm thinking of taxation of US expats by the USG and immigration issues with Argentines. Any other suggestions such as consulting, etc would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Harold

Hi again,
I see you had some other questions on this web site....I just oculdn't help to answer...(having been here for over 10 years). I DO think that there is a need for legal help here....there are lots of Americans or Argnetines that have businesses or connections in the U.S. As far a tax service, I could use you! They offer, once a year at the embassay, a free consulting service for Americans...but, since I always have some strange or difficult situation....I cant get any use out of it. A neighbor of mine for example, has his accountant in Miami, pays a fixed monthly fee, and imports things....filing some tax forms every year in the U.S......another neighbor, a manager for golfers also has his accountant in Florida....LOTS of people use some accountant from the U.S....and some use lawyers....BUT, Argentina has a very contrasting society....those that have and those that dont....still not enough in the middle. So, in my "circle" there are lots of people connected to the U.S....
Another comment I saw you posted, about a catholic church....There is one, been there for years....and they give the mass in english. Many Americans go there...they even have a art festival each year which lots of people go to. I called them once to ask them "where they buy their turkey each year for thanksgiving"!....(that was also the closest I got to mass)...
If you want you can email me directly....I have a pretty good idea of things here. I have my family here, and we live a sort of "dual" Argentine/American life.....
Take care!

Paul, I appreciate your responding to my posts. You did not leave an email. Mine is [email protected]. I must say, the more I hear and read about Argentina, the more eager I am to head south.

I have to ask. I hear that the Argentine women are beautiful and charming. I hope that I've heard correctly.

Harold

Harold

Cmon get serious here! Are you kidding?!?!

The women down there are some of the best in the world. After living down there you will never want to see, let alone talk to, another American woman in your life!!!!

That is what another member of the forum has said. Though he did say in an email that the Argentine ladies are higher maintenence than some others.

Harold

Harold

Perhaps, but still much better than the USA in my opinion. The biggest difference that you will notice is that the women there actually like men unlike the feminazis running around in the USA!

Also don't expect to waste a month wining and dining before you get anywhere! The longest I have ever been there is a month so my experience is a little limited, but 1 month is long enough if you know what I'm saying!!!!

Mike 55, I appreciate your response. Though as for myself I'm rather old fashioned about such things.

Thanks,
Harold

Before you move here come for at least 6 months or a year and see how you like it. BA is deceptive in that when you come for a visit it appears at first glance to be a modern, relatively 'first-world' place. There's broadband internet everywhere, nice restaurants, new cars, etc., etc. However, it is NOT like what you're used to. Under the surface, things work poorly, slowly, arbitrarily and unpredictably. It can get VERY frustrating. It has its charms, and if you can adjust it's got a lot to offer, but you need a LOT of patience. Good luck!

Before you move here come for at least 6 months or a year and see how you like it. BA is deceptive in that when you come for a visit it appears at first glance to be a modern, relatively 'first-world' place. There's broadband internet everywhere, nice restaurants, new cars, etc., etc. However, it is NOT like what you're used to. Under the surface, things work poorly, slowly, arbitrarily and unpredictably. It can get VERY frustrating. It has its charms, and if you can adjust it's got a lot to offer, but you need a LOT of patience. Good luck!

Back