looking to start chatarra restaurant

comicerrant1

Registered
I´ve noticed that there are a few things of the american chatarra that just can´t be found here, and would like to know if anybody has the resources or interest to start cooking this stuff up for the porteños.

I´ve tested out a few of my own versions of some classics (which i shall not reveal here) and INSTANTLY noticed the potential profit to be had in this endeavor.

Anybody up for this with me? let´s fatten these people up a bit.

-James

Hi guys. This is not my area, Im internet developer. But I can giv an opinion I guess.. well, I think it would be good start doing it by yourself (you both) on the street in strategic points where the crowd get togother, it could be in the park at sundays, the riverside, a square, etc. Then after that you'll see the results and make your moves..

Not wanting to seem too dumb but what is american chatarra? I haven't heard of it and neither has google or wickepedia (at least not in the meaning of food).

TomAtAlki said:
Not wanting to seem too dumb but what is american chatarra? I haven't heard of it and neither has google or wickepedia (at least not in the meaning of food).

lol, could it be junk food, such as corn dogs, fried oreos, etc?

yes..exactly. fried dough with cinnamon and sugar, buffalo wings, and a few other goodies were on the mind. who wants to have a conference about this with a few beers?

Fried Oreos? For real? Never heard of them... Sounds interesting

Tom, Chatarra is comida basura, i.e. junk food: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comida_basura.

James, I may be mistaken, but I don't think your idea would take off in Bs. As. because Porteno tastes tend to preclude spicy food like buffalo wings, and there are already popular local things like churros, hamburgers, hot dogs, and chipas. If you decide to give it a shot Mr Hyde has a good idea, start with a food cart in an area with plenty of pedestrians and see what the locals like and dislike. It would be great if you could share a bit about what you learn, I really wish a wider range of ethnic restaurants would succeed down here.

Not wanting to put a dampener on things, but a couple of american burger/fries/wings restaurants have opened (and closed) here within the last year alone. Opening a business here is incredibly difficult due to rents, the monthly bribes you HAVE to pay, employment laws etc. Also, because hard to find ingredients are often involved, the prices you have to charge can be high (a little off putting, from a customer, perspective, for junk). I wonder if a street food-type endeavour could work though...

Back