Lost Bank Card.

RichG

Registered
I've been unlucky enough to lose my bank card, after turning my place upside down I decided I should cancel it before someone else started having fun with it.

Being reasonably well prepared (so I thought) I had another account and another card, however I tried to use it and it was declined. It expired at the end of June..... bad luck and planning, I know.

So, the timing couldn't have been worse as I have just moved into a new place and need to pay all the expenses up front. I have borrowed off some very nice people but really I could do with getting a lump some over here quickly to keep everyone happy.

Question 1: Does anyone know how easy it is to wire cash over from the UK and the costs involved?

Question 2: Does anyone know the best way to get a card over here?

My friend lost his credit card (mine is debit) while he was in Bariloche and customs here in BA would not release his card until he came here in person to collect his card and pay $55peso tax!!!!!! He had it shipped by courier and sugested it would avoid a lot of problems if it arrived in a birthday card rather than by courier....if it arrives at all.

Question 3. Has anyone here got more money than sense and wants to get rid of some. (joke, ja ja)

ugh that sounds bad :p I suggest you get your bank to issue a new card for you and get it emailed via Fedex - DHL - UPS 24 hs ( we always get them ok )

I am surprised you managed to get a card over. My freind tried every way, but could not get anyone to bring it. In the end I brought it over in my hand baggage. I think in the end that is the best way, if you have someone you can trust.

I don't know anyone coming from the UK until September.

I'm concerned it might get held up in some kind of bureaucracy if it comes by courier. But maybe it's desperation that makes me think I shold take a chance and get it send in the regular post.

How much for UPS etc? Any ideas?

Have the card sent to a family member in the UK and have them FedX or DHL it over here. I've done it a few times now, definitely works.

I received a Fedex envelope w/ cards etc in just over 24 hrs from Canada, cost $78 Cdn ...:)

Does your bank have a branch here? When Citibank canceled my debit card due to a security issue, they offered to send one to a Citibank here so I could pick it up.

You can use Western Union and have someone wire money to you and you can go pick it up. Alternatively, you can take a cash advance on a credit card although that usually has very high fees associated with it, I would say that's a last resort.

You can use western union, they charge 5% or 6% of whatever you send, but you have to go to one of the big western unions to pick the money up ( I went to the one in Unicenter I think) cause the ones you see everywhere never work, either their system is down or they just don't have enough cash, once I had to pick up 500 pesos and I tried like 6 or 7 western unions before I could get the money, crazy!

When I lost my cash card my bank fed exed it to me and I got it in a couple of days.

You can get cash with a wire transfer from a bank to a "money changer". These are very reputable people on the top floors of buildings in Congresso. Pericles probably can recommend one to you.

Tom

RichG said:
I've been unlucky enough to lose my bank card, after turning my place upside down I decided I should cancel it before someone else started having fun with it.

Being reasonably well prepared (so I thought) I had another account and another card, however I tried to use it and it was declined. It expired at the end of June..... bad luck and planning, I know.

So, the timing couldn't have been worse as I have just moved into a new place and need to pay all the expenses up front. I have borrowed off some very nice people but really I could do with getting a lump some over here quickly to keep everyone happy.

Question 1: Does anyone know how easy it is to wire cash over from the UK and the costs involved?

Question 2: Does anyone know the best way to get a card over here?

My friend lost his credit card (mine is debit) while he was in Bariloche and customs here in BA would not release his card until he came here in person to collect his card and pay $55peso tax!!!!!! He had it shipped by courier and sugested it would avoid a lot of problems if it arrived in a birthday card rather than by courier....if it arrives at all.

Question 3. Has anyone here got more money than sense and wants to get rid of some. (joke, ja ja)

Try MoneyGram. You get your money in a couple of hours and the system is very efficient. It works and fees are very low.

Back