Lunar Eclipse

RogueTango

Registered
I am trying ot find out, if we will be able to see it, and what time..
Anyone have any idea?

the planetarium in Parque Tres de Febrero, Palermo, with free access to the telescopes, will be opened all night. otherwise, just go to the rosedal in Palermo! you should be able to see it. starting around 230 or 3 AM. Have fun!!

yes, they announced it to happen between 3-5 am..don,t wake me up please...I don,t know about the Planiterium being free though(if that,s what you mean),I went 5 months ago and it was 10 pesos each

Heading out to Plaza Italia now to check out the eclipse. While the Planetarium might be cool, it will be a mob scene. So Plaza Italia it is.

I'll be the one on horseback with a pointy hat and one hand tucked into my jacket.

Feliz Eclipso,

Napoleon B

HowardinBA said:
yes, they announced it to happen between 3-5 am..don,t wake me up please...I don,t know about the Planiterium being free though(if that,s what you mean),I went 5 months ago and it was 10 pesos each

Old fart.....

so, who got up and actually saw the eclipse? Was it worth getting up for?

:rolleyes:
katti said:
so, who got up and actually saw the eclipse? Was it worth getting up for?
"Got up"?

You mean "stayed up".

Was it worth it? Well...

It was the coolest total lunar eclipse for a solstice/equinox that I've seen all year. I sat with a couple other expats on an pedestrian island at Plaza Italia and we talked, ate pecans, ate BEEF flavored potato chips (I'd never had them before, but they really do taste like BEEF), drank agua con gas and generally shot the shit.

It started with a little darkening along the top right and then eventually you could see where the earth was blocking the sun. Unlike a solar eclipse, this happened very slowly. The gradual blockage took over an hour rather than lasting just a few minutes.

The shading appeared to start from the top right towards the bottom left, but then the shading pattern eventually flowed from top to bottom. When there was just a sliver of light left, it was only on the bottom, kind of like someone from the ground was firing a very powerful spotlight directly up to a massive advertising balloon or something.

Another thing that made it so cool was that the moon was actually fairly low in the sky, so it seemed massive and very close.

I had considered bringing a camera, but I realized that there will be much better pictures online today and I might have gone home without my camera. No reason to tempt drunk, rowdy teenagers, on a hot summer night during their vacation. So we sat and chatted and watched.

Occasionally it looked like the shadow made a sudden move to cover more of the surface, but in general it was pretty cool. Right about when it was totally covered, I looked towards the microcenter/Puerto Madero and thought "they must have a bunch of lights on, because the sky is lighter than where we are looking"...
:rolleyes:

I then realized that it was about 4:50am and that the sun was starting to come up. My god... on a school night no less.

So that's what you missed sugar plum.

suerte

Back