Lunch In La Boca

Styleles

Registered
Any suggestions of something decent in the middle of a milion expensive tourist places?

Last time I went I ordered something simple, like a sandwich de lomo and a beer, it was fine, there was a gaucho show, the price was OK. All much of a muchness.

If you don't want that, eat after you leave or before you go because 2 hours in la boca is plenty ! Not my favourite place.

As long as you are going to Boca, spend some time at Proa (museum), I think there is a good show on now and you can have lunch upstairs. Pricey but nice place.
Nancy

Yeah i'm mainly going there for Ron Mueck's exhibition, will check out the museum cafe!

This one is a bit outside La Boca (don't go there by yourself, take a cab). Great place, very authentic, very few tourists, the restaurant exists since decades
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g312741-d1012355-Reviews-El_Obrero-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

Inside La Boca, I've also been to a great restaurant I've been unable to find again later (! if anyone knows).
It's in an old house, typical of La Boca, with funny looking seats, etc. There's a courtyard behind you need to cross to go to the bathroom (if that helps anyone to find the name of this place, I want to go there again)

El Obrero is great, not touristy- but its only like 3 blocks- you take a taxi for that? We just walk. At night, maybe a taxi, but during the day?

El Obrero is fantastic. The word has started to get out though amongst some tourists. Last time I was there in warm weather there was a decent wait for a table due to the number of European tourists wanting to be seated. Still totally worth it, but get there perhaps early.

Take a cab. Myself and two friends were mugged walking those three blocks on our way back to El Caminito after our lovely lunch. We took a cab there, but thought, "well, it's just three blocks, what could happen?" The answer - my friends were physically assaulted, pushed up against brick wall by a pair of 15 year olds, threatened, hit, purses stollen, and were very rattled. I saw it coming and ran, the guys didn't catch me, por suerte, but I saw the attack on my friends, and I felt horrible that I couldn't help them.

Bottom line - better safe than sorry.

PPS. My husband is from a different part of La Boca, and he told me not to walk to or from El Obrero. I wish we had listened.

Back