Macbook Pro Repair?

Somewhereinba

Registered
Has anyone had to try get an apple laptop fixed here under international warranty? I bought a mid 2015 macbook pro in Singapore and after 1 month the screen keeps turning itself off pointing to a logic board failure (just my luck). I spoke to Apple support who told me it is covered under a 1 year international warranty. I contacted the nearest apple service centre to where I am in Rosario and they said they don't cover repairs unless it was bought in Argentina (not true based on conversation with apple). Any ideas - I am worried if I give it to one of the 'authorized service centres' they will stuff it up some how or try make me pay money or not even have the right part because of imports... Any experiences?

You might want to try macdaddy. He did great work on my Imac. He tried to save my Mac Book Pro.
But it was too late. Even the guy in NYC couldn't fix it. The guy knows his stuff. Very responsible & reliable.
When he came over to fix my IMac there was a black out right in the middle of the repair.
He came back the very next day to finish the job.

http://baexpats.org/.../6398-macdaddy/

You might want to try macdaddy. He did great work on my Imac. He tried to save my Mac Book Pro.
But it was too late. The guy knows his stuff. Very responsible & reliable.
When he came over to fix my Mac there was a black out right in the middle of the repair.
He came back the very next day to finish the job.

http://baexpats.org/.../6398-macdaddy/
He does seem very good, my only issue is that it is still under warranty and I am pretty confident the fix involves replacing the whole logic board. My troubleshooting skills point towards a overheating issue (it only happens after it has been on for a while and in warm temperatures). I just turned it off for 30 minutes and now it is working fine again. Likely GPU manufacturing fault similar to that on the 2010-2013 models that caused Apple to offer full warranty because of defect in manufacturing.

I've used the Centro Técnico Informático at Lavalle 1943, 5238-1900. They are good, but in the past few years we have had problems with imports and I am not sure how smoothly things are going nowadays. I waited almost two years for a trackpad under Applecare, and still waiting for a disc drive a year and a half on (Applecare has now expired but the claim is still valid).

What I would recommend is to try a place and see if they have what you need in stock. Once you know the part you need, try calling a few places in town and explain the situation. If not, and you aren't planning a vacation anytime soon, there is a place close to the Buquebus terminal in Colonia that seems good and says they get people coming from BA all the time because the parts don't get in to Argentina. I know it seems drastic, but that's what I'm planning to do with y current machine if I have any problems that need replacements (until I am assured by a technician that they are getting parts quickly and without problems). My battery burned out after the last power cut and luckily I had a friend flying that day who was able to bring me a whole new machine!

Please let me know if you want the info of the place in Colonia, I have their info around here somewhere.

Every time I have had a problem I have taken my Mac to a few different certified apple repair centers around town. The ones in Cañitas and Palermo have always been good enough...but as mentioned by others the real problem is the parts. When my battery fried itself last year I was told there was no chance they would get the parts in less than a year or two. Another time I needed a replaced screen and I had to wait until I went back to the US or Australia (on vacation) and have it replaced there. Both times I called Apple in the US, made a claim and explained the situation with parts here and they promised (in writing) that even if my Applecare expired this claim could get taken care of next time I traveled somewhere with the parts to fix it.

I would suggest you file a claim online with Apple and then do as suggested above, call around see who has parts and if all else fails plan a trip and get it fixed then.

It is a hassle to get anything not bought in Argentina repaired here. They either tell you they do not have parts or just refuse to service anything bought abroad. I ended up just bringing my portable electronics to Santiago (Chile) for repair. They seem a lot more efficient and always seem to have access to parts. And Santiago is a cool city and great place for some shopping. Worth a long weekend trip ...

. Likely GPU manufacturing fault similar to that on the 2010-2013 models that caused Apple to offer full warranty because of defect in manufacturing.

Speak to me of this please! I have a macbook pro. Mid 2012 model. I bought it end of 2012 and 2014, it just died one day (not through anything I did). Then worked again for a few weeks and died again. It's been sitting here for the last year b/c I didn't want to pay a million dollars to fix it here. Are they still offering the warranty?

WOW, what timing - Apple to open a store in Argentina (looks like it might not be a joke this time?): http://www.infobae.com/2016/01/05/1780968-apple-abriria-un-local-oficial-la-argentina

By the way, about the place in Colonia, they also said that they were very familiar with working with Apple to cancel claims made in Argentina under Applecare and re-directing the needed parts to them. I guess quite a few people go to them once they've already initiated the process in Argentina and had enough of the waiting.

Back