Mail Delivery Problems

tgibob

Registered
We are on our second visit to BsAs and this time we are experiencing a mail problem. Two pieces of mail were sent to me in March from the U.S., one on the 21st and the other on the 22nd. Neither has arrived. Maybe the person in my building did not realize who it was for or someting else happened. Does the BsAs PO return undeliverable mail? Does it have a dead letter office?
Thanks for any info.

I have had mail not reach me and be returned to my home country. You could go down to your local correo with some ID and ask them to look. You should have received a slip if they tried and failed to deliver it. Ask the portero first.

If your mail had a tracking number, you can call Correo Argentino, they have a toll free and they will look it up.

I send mail to the USA via Correo Argentino in duplicate, hoping that one letter will arrive, rarely it does . I go to a Correo Argentino small agency, buy the stamps, glue them on and then walk the letter to the Pueyrredon Post Office Mail Box. I gave up. I also place one copy in a bottle in the Rio de La Plata :wub:

What was in the mail? A month isn't a horrendous amount of time (I'd say you have about another 2 weeks of hope that it might show up). Maybe speak to the portero to see if he signed for anything. If not, if you've got a tracking number, you should be able to find out where it is, why its been held up and call to inquire after it. If not, its a hopeless case.

Another thing to try is the Poste Restante, which means your mail gets sent straight to the post office. You just go to your local correo and ask for their Poste Restante address. Have the parcel/letter sent there in your name, then you just go and collect it, paying what was $4.50 a couple of years ago and presenting passport or dni. For me, it saved having to go miles away if I wasn't in when they knocked on the door. You do have to guess when it will have arrived though. Parcels over 500g may have to be picked up at Retiro so better to send stuff lighter than that.

Last time I ordered books from the good old USA it took five (5) months to get here. On top of that, I claimed a refund from the publisher (which I got) and then the books arrived later that month.
AJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Thanks for all the input. I am at this address for another few weeks so I'll just wait awhile longer. The mail I am expecting contains my FBI records check to use when filing for residency. If it gets returned I can live with that. It does have a tracking number so I can check that out. Once I learn some more Spanish. I am surprised that mail is such a problem here. I was an expat in SE Asia for a long time and most of my mail reached me in about 8 days.

Mail delivery...
I have lived in the middle of a city and in a rural area (3 km from the city centre).

Many times involces from companies like Movistar were delivered after their payment date!
And, I received no tax bills for a year in this rural address!
If you do not receive a bill, you are still accountable to pay for things you do not know you owe!

I had no post for a month! Not one bill or letter!

It happens that the postman hurt his leg in a motorcycle accident,
and no post was delivered the entire time!

I begged him to find the post from my bank.

The postman smiled when delivering my letter from the bank...
and had an envelope that contained the "code provider" to access my account on line.

I saw the envelope. He did not give it to me...
He opened it, seeing that it was nothing he could use,
he delivered it the next day!
and there were other issues...
and
A MOUNTAIN of UNSORTED POST
in the office.

I was in desperate need of my bank statement to prove that I was not laundering my widow´s pension...
I could not do this without the original bank statement (takes 1 - 2 weeks from the UK).

I went to the sorting office, offering my services to find my bank statement and sort other mail.
Of course, they would not allow me to look through that mountain of unsorted post.

DHL and FED Express are not more reliable... in Mendoza or Rio Negro.....

better to do anything you can electronically!
that is my 6 year experience here.

Mail delivery...
I have lived in the middle of a city and in a rural area (3 km from the city centre).

Many times involces from companies like Movistar were delivered after their payment date!
And, I received no tax bills for a year in this rural address!
If you do not receive a bill, you are still accountable to pay for things you do not know you owe!

I had no post for a month! Not one bill or letter!

It happens that the postman hurt his leg in a motorcycle accident,
and no post was delivered the entire time!

I begged him to find the post from my bank.

The postman smiled when delivering my letter from the bank...
and had an envelope that contained the "code provider" to access my account on line.

I saw the envelope. He did not give it to me...
He opened it, seeing that it was nothing he could use,
he delivered it the next day!
and there were other issues...
and
A MOUNTAIN of UNSORTED POST
in the office.

I was in desperate need of my bank statement to prove that I was not laundering my widow´s pension...
I could not do this without the original bank statement (takes 1 - 2 weeks from the UK).

I went to the sorting office, offering my services to find my bank statement and sort other mail.
Of course, they would not allow me to look through that mountain of unsorted post.

DHL and FED Express are not more reliable... in Mendoza or Rio Negro.....

better to do anything you can electronically!
that is my 6 year experience here.

likewise happened to me the postman was gone all of February in Bariloche...! I saw at the Post Office a container full of correspondence waiting for the Cartero...! I was not allowed to search the pile. An important IRS check was mailed in error. Cancelling a check and getting a new check issued can take many many months...!!

Back