mail not reaching the UK

joelie

Registered
In the last few months a couple of friends of mine have individually tried sending letters to the UK and neither of them have arrived. One friend sent a very big letter to a relative, the other was a DVD, but with a short homemade film on it; nothing of real value to anyone except the intended recipients. My friends did not receive anything from the post office or anybody as to why the items were not sent, and the items have never been heard from again. Has anyone else had problems with post not reaching the UK?

I have sent mail to Africa with out a problem - aside from that it took almost six weeks. (NOTE: I lived at this same address for some years that I was sending mail to from here, and know that mail would go to and from the rural African post office to Australia and the UK in around two weeks! The delay could only really have been from this end.) So it seems strange to me that mail won't get through to the UK. (unless of course there are some postal workers staging some kind of bizarre retaliation.

I have never had any problems sending mail to the UK...though I stopped bothering a few months ago after the Correo queues started driving me mad.
I used to have a lot of problems receiving mail FROM the UK though (I think I've had 3 or 4 parcels in total stolen, mostly cosmetics and bath products). This year, however, I have received 3 large parcels so far containing a variety of items from a dress to a few months supply of PG Tips and chocolate with no problems whatsoever. I think the key has been to declare a value of under £5 and write something boring like "scarf" or "sweets" on the little customs form.
Can't think why your post hasn't been arriving though...

*sigh* Thanks for your info though.

Last time I went to the post office I took a thermos of coffee and some facturas, and my husband and I had ourselves a little picnic while we waited. Not the most scenic place to have your morning tea but we made it fun (not least coz people thought we might have been a bit mad) :)

The argentine post office, is, needless to say after all that has been said so far, UNRELIABLE and INEFFICIENT. The best you can do is pay a bit more and use fedex. I sent mail regularly to the UK through their service which though expensive, is safe and trackable (last time I sent some documents, they arrived in 2 working days).
Sending things from the UK can be tricky too. Best so far, the good old royal post service, paying the extra of "I want the receipt signed up by the recipient" which pays off when your dear ones receive the package.

i've posted 1 thing to the uk and it arrived no problems (although 2 months after i posted it)

coming the other way you really need to get the "signed for" service. i do that and things generally arrive a week or two later.

Back