Makin' a run for the Uruguayan Border?

ameliamcg said:
Any suggestions on where I should go next time I head over in October? I hear Piriapolis is beautiful!

The view from the top of the cerro is indeed rather stunning. That group (Pan de Azucar, Cerro San Antonio, etc), along with Punta Ballena in Punta del Este are the two southernmost promontories of the Brasilian Shield which causes all the morros in Rio. Down here it's subtropical pine forest not "mata atlantica".

Also, Maldonado proper is a 400 year old colonial town, so is San Carlos. Punta del Este, off season, can give you a taste of sheer luxury without the price tag, and it's certainly a very interesting peninsula. Off season I spotted sea turtles, penguins, right there on the beach, and whales farther on the Atlantic. A tiny island off Punta del Este is also one of the biggest sea lion colonies in the world and you can see those puppies always on the port, but off season, everywhere, like the rocks of the cornice next to a high rise.

It's a surreal experience.

Matt84 said:
The view from the top of the cerro is indeed rather stunning. That group (Pan de Azucar, Cerro San Antonio, etc), along with Punta Ballena in Punta del Este are the two southernmost promontories of the Brasilian Shield which causes all the morros in Rio. Down here it's subtropical pine forest not "mata atlantica".

Also, Maldonado proper is a 400 year old colonial town, so is San Carlos. Punta del Este, off season, can give you a taste of sheer luxury without the price tag, and it's certainly a very interesting peninsula. Off season I spotted sea turtles, penguins, right there on the beach, and whales farther on the Atlantic. A tiny island off Punta del Este is also one of the biggest sea lion colonies in the world and you can see those puppies always on the port, but off season, everywhere, like the rocks of the cornice next to a high rise.

It's a surreal experience.

Thanks for the info, totally awesome!
What months are best for all that cool nature action?

Spring is the obviously choice, Uruguayans love gardening almost as much as the English. Everything will be blossoming but still low season from September to mid December (get out before Dec 15 or you'll see 1 million tourists land upon you like one of the seven plagues!).
The only downside is that in spring the water is really cold, so no swimming. Fall is more swimmable up to the first weeks of May for the thick of skin.

Cool pictures!

Always glad to talk about Uruguay! Any doubt PM!

Although the traditional time is obviously january, dec and feb in order of choice ...much is open this one long weekend around 10/10 (Oct 10) which traditionally is used to go the beach and rent for the summer that is not open so its a different alternative

KevinK said:
Although the traditional time is obviously january, dec and feb in order of choice ...much is open this one long weekend around 10/10 (Oct 10) which traditionally is used to go the beach and rent for the summer that is not open so its a different alternative

Most everything is open in Punta del Este every weekend throughout the off season because of the relatively "new" Montevideano weekend tourist.
Summer is extremely crowded and extremely expensive. Some say it's worth its while some don't.

Off season you have the same charms to explore without the searing heat and you may rent a luxury apartment for a weekend, a week or a month from 50 bucks a day. The same would cost ten times more in January. Garantias are not even used!

I've had wonderful times in that countryside and keep going back every chance I get.

Thanks for all the info. Would like some specifics about the penguins and sea lions though. Loved the charm of Montevideo with the laid back people and seafood and all, but I would love to see the penguins and sea lions in particular. I didn't realize penguins would be that far north. What specific months are they there? Is it July and August while the men penguins are left in the freezing cold to care for the kids and the ladies are off on holiday? I could see that happening;)

weltawelta said:
Thanks for all the info. Would like some specifics about the penguins and sea lions though. Loved the charm of Montevideo with the laid back people and seafood and all, but I would love to see the penguins and sea lions in particular. I didn't realize penguins would be that far north. What specific months are they there? Is it July and August while the men penguins are left in the freezing cold to care for the kids and the ladies are off on holiday? I could see that happening;)

Hello Mike,

Penguins do migrate even farther North during the winter. I've seen-and touched them- in Brazil, In October, taking refuge on the the beach, while "resting" from their migration back South. In Brazil we were told we were not to bother them or try to help them as they are simply resting while continuing their migration. They are not pervasive but I've seen them in those situations right there on Playa Brava in Punta at least once in every off season trip I took. Chances are good throughout the year but like sea turtles, it's gamble . You can increase your chances by taking long walks on the beach or hiking the shoreline rocks which is actually very fun.

Sea Lions or Lobos de Mar, are a wholly different situation: Isla de Lobos, right next to Punta del Este is a huge breeding colony where betwen 100,000 and 200,000+ sea lions of two subspecies live year round. Of course such a colony causes some spill over, and so you see them everywhere along the shore. They love rocks.

They are fixture at the port where they claim full rights on two distinct spots, one close to Kitty's a cafe bistro that caters to tourists and another conveniently next to where the fishermen clean their catch. These obese creatures know how to capture both markets and thrive on it!

Since off season they outnumber the human population of the whole district 2:1 they do kinda feel like they own the place and off season you'll see them, besides on the port and the the island, just suntanning aboard luxury yachts, or walking clumsily on the string of rock outcrops that encircles the peninsula. I've seen them as far as the rocks of Punta Ballena.

The kids will love feeding them on port, going on a ship excursion to the island (4 hours), or catching a puppy swimming around the rocks of a random piece of shore.

Just don't let them get too close to the bigger lions as they are after all impressive creatures.

I took this one a few years ago during April.
scaled.php

and these I took from the web "Punta del este" + "Lobos de Mar"
xoqiliby-1303079353-bg.jpg

http://www.esacademic.com/pictures/eswiki/76/Lobos_en_el_puerto_de_Punta_del_Este.JPG, typical scene.

They might be an endangered species but certainly not in Uruguay!

Seasonal disclaimer: Try to avoid the rain of the winter months. Avoid June, July (unless you have schooled kids) and August. Spring and Fall are the best.

Btw: not just weekends, Punta del Este is a real community with people living in it year round. You'll find plenty options to buy groceries, eat out, find souvenirs or go to the movies every day of the week.

Re Montevideo: I love that city, but it is a -small- city. In the Maldonado countryside (that is Punta del Este's woodland suburbs) you can allow yourself or your children to bike freely without the usual worries that come with big cities.

Again, I love discussing Punta,

cheers,

Matt

Piriapolis isnt what you'd call beautiful (if youve ever been to Greece,Hawaii, Craibbean etc) but it was quaint, with glorious sunsets and the best moules marinieres Ive eaten since I came to this continent...definitely worth a try. We stayed at that huge beast "El Argentino" hotel..it reminded me so much of The Shining with its huge corridors..its a fabulous place and deserves real investment to upgrade its old features to last another 100 years. Have fun.

I stayed there one time in the winter and it was a huge dissapointment

Thanks Matt for your insight and useful info! My lady and I are kinda obsessed with wildlife and will need a good holiday come Sept.
Love the photos too!

Hello Hello! If you are looking for a three/4 day break from the city I would suggest coming up to Punta Del Diablo in Uruguay! It is easiest to book a buquebus ticket here, will take to from the port to Colonia, included ticket transfer to Montevideo to the bus station and then a four hour bus ride up the beautiful Rocha Coast to Punta del Diablo.

This is the season for whale watching, horse tours through Santa Teresa National Park, or check out the sunset at Laguna Negra 3 KM away. Maybe you can take a day to see Cabo Polonio where you take a giant lifted 4X4 through sand dunes to reach the magical little pueblo of a town. There is an island where you are almost close enough to high/five all the sea lions and catch a view from the famous lighthouse.

I am happy to call Punta Del Diablo home for the past 5 months working at a hostel El Diablo Tranquilo Playa Suites in front of the quiet *at least until summer* stretches of beach Playa Rivero and are open year around. We have a lot of folks come up from BA, whether students studying abroad or expats looking to relax in front of the fireplace and asado at the same time, all are welcome! If you have any questions about getting to Punta or info about the surrounding destinations, I'd be happy to help!

Cheers,

Tim

Back