Malbec

Stella

Registered
Can someone let me know what the price of a medium priced Malbec would be in a supermarket these days? I would like to bring some back with me as gifts. Last year we got some decent ones for AR$ 8-10 pesos.

Gracias as always.

Gascon right now is about 14 pesos in the grocery store, Trapiche is about 12, and one of my cheap faves is Uxmal which is about 20/22 pesos. There are still cheap ones that are about 8-10 pesos, but are not so great.

I love Trapiche but it is very expensive where I live. Thank you so much for the information, flippinkittin

Just buy it back in the US, Europe or wherever your home is. There is a lot of Malbec available in the US and the UK. Prices are competitive )I have seen some Malbec priced less in the US than in Argentina!). You can´t carry bottles on board anymore so unless you buy at the duty free shop (expensive) its better not to risk broken bottles in checked bags. Just wait til you get home.

It does seem a bit of a false economy to take mid-priced wine such a long distance. If you were going to take something really special it might be worth it....though then the risk of losing it to breakage might make you think twice.

I brought some Benjamin Malbec last time for my doctor which is not sold where I live and he said it was the best he ever had.

I agree - go for quality over quantity. There is a lot of lower quality malbec exported out of Argentina, but what is harder to find and more expensive is some of the higher quality wine. If you can only bring a couple of bottles, may as well go for a value point that you can't obtain at home.

Good article a couple of days ago in the NY Times about this... check out their food/wine section.

I usually can find Trapiche pretty easily in the US. It's such a PITA to cart wine back to the USA and then you have to pray the gorillas in baggage don't break it.

flippinkittin said:
Gascon right now is about 14 pesos in the grocery store, Trapiche is about 12, and one of my cheap faves is Uxmal which is about 20/22 pesos. There are still cheap ones that are about 8-10 pesos, but are not so great.

Trapiche is like raspberry water. It is like as a fashion like "Norton" or "Cabernet Souvignon" wine. Uxmal is good but you should not buy the cheapest one.

Very good red wines are Quara, Altas Cumbres, Callia (not Malbec), Uxmal or Finca Flichmann. If you like "rose" there is only one very good one - Santa Julia (Syrah Rose).

Back