Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

Moonwitch said:
Holland and Norway won´t provide enough oil and Russia and central Asia is unreliable.

Norway can provide crude, Holland can provide gas. Russia and central asia in general are not unreliable at the moment

Thank you Elhombreinhombre for pointing this out .
The proper dimensions of the exclusion zone are 200 nautical miles ( 370 km )

pericles said:
Ask the citizens of Northern Ireland about self determination...

please explain this further. I rather suspect you threw it in there because it sounded good, but now you're going to have to justify it. You think the majority of the population of Northern Ireland would like to leave the UK?

esllou said:
please explain this further. I rather suspect you threw it in there because it sounded good, but now you're going to have to justify it. You think the majority of the population of Northern Ireland would like to leave the UK?

I will answer this. Northern Ireand today is not the same as it was 100 years ago and could have a majority that prefer British Rule,
Many colonial powers have a divide and rule policy using their own population to overwhelm the original inhabitants as has happened in many places .
Why is Ireland not united as one country as culturally they are distinct from the English ?

Northern Cyprus claimed by Turkey has had a huge influx of mainland turkish immigrants in the last years close to doubling the original turkish settlers. Today it is is 98 percent Turkish but just 30 years ago they were a minority of less than 30 percent of the inhabitants .
I believe that turkish and greek cypriots can live together in peace and respect as our cultures are similar and our shared history unites us . Unfortunately we have been made pawns by international power brokers who divide us.

In regards to the concept of majority rule the same could apply to London ,Sydney , New York and Paris where minorities would definetly prefer to rule themselves and they are the majority in many suburbs of these cities.

Self determination sounds honorable but when the facts are presented there are shades of grey always.

Ellsou I have a question for you Why does England deserve a 200 nautical mile exclusion zone around the Malvinas ? What are the reasons for this ?

Thank you for confirming what I suspected: you understand nothing about the NI situation but like throwing around soundbites that you've heard off others. One hundred years ago, the protestant majority in NI was even more than it is today. That's all I'll say on the issue. It's not my responsibility to educate you.

Ellsou we are not talking about religion but races . I do not profess to know much about Northern Ireland as it is not my culture . I know about my own situation and Argentinas and I also know that many are not answering my questions. Once again Ellsou.

Why does England deserve a 200 nautical mile exclusion zone around the Malvinas ? What are the reasons for this ?

OK, well that was my point...you shouldn't have made a throwaway comment about NI when you admit yourself that you don't know much about it.

Somebody on another page said there was a precedent for a country to have a 200 mile zone of exclusive economic activity

ah, found it...apparently it's normal under international law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zones

The law is unfair. It has been done by the people who ruled the world in the past and wanted to continue ruling it. That´s why we still don´t have a limit to the acumulation of wealth. Soon the 100 richest people of the world we´ll have more money that the poorest half of the world´s population. But of course, you will say it´s fair becaue the laws permit it.

That´s my preface.
Now how can it be that the 200 miles zone around the islands is bigger than the islands themselves? How can it be that a huge country like Argentina in comparison with the islands has the same 200 miles zone? from the coast?? So make the comparison between the size of Argentina and the waters she controls and the size of the islands and its water domains.

Apart from this, I´ve read that England sent a nuclear submarine, the HMS York.

Vikingo said:
The law is unfair. It has been done by the people who ruled the world in the past and wanted to continue ruling it. That´s why we still don´t have a limit to the acumulation of wealth. Soon the 100 richest people of the world we´ll have more money that the poorest half of the world´s population. But of course, you will say it´s fair becaue the laws permit it.

That´s my preface.
Now how can it be that the 200 miles zone around the islands is bigger than the islands themselves? How can it be that a huge country like Argentina in comparison with the islands has the same 200 miles zone? from the coast?? So make the comparison between the size of Argentina and the waters she controls and the size of the islands and its water domains.

Apart from this, I´ve read that England sent a nuclear submarine, the HMS York.

vikingo, yes, you're right, it may not be very fair, but I was pointing out that it is normal under international law. Others in this thread have said things like "the uk just decided to have a 200 mile zone" and that is not true.

you can argue about whether the UK should even be there or whether it's "fair" to take all the oil or whatever...all justifiable arguments. But the 200 mile EEZ is standard in international law. If you don't like the law, change it. :D

Back