Maneuvering through Mayonnaise

Chicago_Jessica

Registered
Wow.
Portenos love their mayo. Trying all of these myself would be a huge waste of time and money. Any suggestions on which is best? I am a "Real Mayo" girl... don't really like Hellman's.

I know this is random, but I am having some people over and need to know!

Thanks for any input...

I'm a "real mayo" girl too. So the only thing to do is make your own. All that other stuff is nasty (especially Hellmans, ew.)

It's actually not as difficult as some will have you think. You don't need to be finiky & drizzle oil slowly into the mix, blah, blah, blah..... But a stick blender and a tall sort of skinny container are essential.

Ok, take one egg, 250 ml oil (or a bit more or less), add a bit of salt, dijon mustard (about 1tsp) and lemon juice (about 1tbl). Put the blender in at the bottom, turn it on & slowly draw it up to the top. Voila! Mayo!

Then you can adjust it to your tastes. I like a bit more lemon juice. Sometimes I'll put in garlic to make aioli. Sometimes I'll add chives. Sky is the limit.

Mini, I'd like to try your mayonnaise recipe but don't know how to translate 250 ml. oil into tablespoons. Help...!

Thanks - I'll translate that into cups and will be all set to try it.

250ml is a quarter of a (normal) liter bottle, your mayonaise will be fine if you just poor 'mas or menos' 1/4th in your container. I usually replace the lemon with vinaigre for a stronger taste.

Tip ; best is that all the ingredients have the same temperature. Egg and oil both in or both out of the fridge. It is not necessary, but if something goes wrong, the difference in temperature is usually to blame.

SaraSara said:
Thanks - I'll translate that into cups and will be all set to try it.

To be honest, I don't measure. I looked up the quantities so I could post it. I put in about a cup and I probably put a bit more lemon & mustard too. I like my mayo a bit thicker. Start with a cup & see what happens.

250ml is a quarter of a (normal) liter bottle, your mayonnaise will be fine if you just poor 'mas or menos' 1/4th in your container. I usually replace the lemon with vinaigre for a stronger taste.

Tip ; best is that all the ingredients have the same temperature. Egg and oil both in or both out of the fridge. It is not necessary, but if something goes wrong, the difference in temperature is usually to blame.

I've never bothered with the same temperature thing. I find that with the hand blender it's not necessary. But you are right it's probably best to plan ahead! :D

Now for a REAL moronic question: do I put in the whole egg or just the yolk?

SaraSara said:
Now for a REAL moronic question: do I put in the whole egg or just the yolk?

Put in the whole egg. It should go in first. Then the other stuff then the oil. Well, that's how I do it. Good luck! Let me know how it comes out.

Ok, I just made mayo actually using measures. I used whole grain mustard & it came out which came out yummy. However, I would use a bit less than a cup, maybe 3/4, as I like my mayo a bit thicker.

Back