March in Washington DC - 2

Recoleta Carolina said:
This is an interesting thread. However, it does raise some questions. Even though the US is going through some problems at the moment the United States is still the most sought after country to move to in the world. Where do most people want to go? The United States. To work. To get ahead. To become residents. To become citizens. To raise their families.

Most people are not moving to Argentina. They are moving to the US. And, by the way, I wonder how many of you actually saw the movie IOUSA. It was great.

There is an old saying;

If You Can't Beat Them...Join Them.

True enough for most Mexicans and many South Americans

Lucas said:
There is an old saying;

If You Can't Beat Them...Join Them.

True enough for most Mexicans and many South Americans

Lucas,

With all due respect it is not just people from Mexico and South America. The people come from all over, from every single country in the world, from A - Z.

Recoleta Carolina said:
Lucas,

With all due respect it is not just people from Mexico and South America. The people come from all over, from every single country in the world, from A - Z.

not for long carolina....not for long.....many immigrants have already moved back home. why? because there is simply no work. there are no jobs. our national unemployment rate is officially 9.7%, which of course, we know is much higher.

if you take california, the rate is 12.2%. california has about 38 million residents, the same population as all of argentina. that means about 1 in every 8 people is without a job. and this will only get worse.

the media lies of course and talks about a "jobless recovery", which is the most ridiculous, most asinine attempt at propaganda and spin that could ever be conjured by the economic pundits, fools and court jesters that surround king obama.

you cannot have an economic recovery without job growth.

the standard of living for the average american is going to drop off a cliff......we don't know if it will be 6 months, a year or two years but it will happen. the damage has already been done/created. it's simply a matter of time. you simply cannot print money the way federal reserve has been doing without some kind of negative consequence to the dollar.

the US is in the same position that argentina has found itself so many times in the past. when you cannot pay your debts, you have 2 choices. you either default, which is what argentina did in 2001 or you inflate your currency and thus inflate away the debt. we have chosen to inflate. this means that we are destroying the US dollar along with the purchasing power of anybody holding said dollars.

therefore, don't be overly leveraged in the US dollar. buy gold and silver bullion coins in order to hedge yourself and protect from hyper inflation. gold is up 9 years in a row. silver is up 50% just this year. i can't think of any asset classes these days that are performing as well.

Recoleta Carolina said:
Lucas,

And that's exactly what I consider tangible proof before I say such wild things like "the Best Country in the World".

Redrum, As for "not for too long". Well, let's see.... Not all Germans and Italians came to the Americas to stay a century ago, half of them went back.... and yet, America is the "opressed" First Choice. That big old French woman standing on New York Harbor still means what she says.

Recoleta Carolina said:

If you can sneak into a naturalisation ceremony, you will get some idea of where immigrants hail from. Typically it is not other first-world countries. Additionally, as another poster has pointed out, even these third-world immigrants -- whether they're from Mexico or India -- are often heading back as the US job market is just too inhospitable. Cheaper to be unemployed in Mexico (or India) than in the USA. Many Americans might like to believe that the whole world is yearning to migrate to the USA but this isn't true today.

bigbadwolf said:
If you can sneak into a naturalisation ceremony, you will get some idea of where immigrants hail from. Typically it is not other first-world countries. Additionally, as another poster has pointed out, even these third-world immigrants -- whether they're from Mexico or India -- are often heading back as the US job market is just too inhospitable. Cheaper to be unemployed in Mexico (or India) than in the USA. Many Americans might like to believe that the whole world is yearning to migrate to the USA but this isn't true today.

Well, that's a pretty pesimistic view. I remember reading of a time (the 1930s) when Americans were migrating to the Glorious USSR, probably because it was not only cheaper, but illegal to be unemployed there!

Many people are leaving b/c of (IMO) restrictive immigration policies. The number of H1N1 visas were cut in half. Companies that took TARP money had to let employees go that were not US citizens.

I'm a HUGE believe in an open door immigration policy as I do think it is what made the US the country it is.

However, back to the original point, I would still bet there is a great number of people that would happily move to the US if they could get a work visa.

Matt84 said:
Well, that's a pretty pesimistic view. I remember reading of a time (the 1930s) when Americans were migrating to the Glorious USSR, probably because it was not only cheaper, but illegal to be unemployed there!

The USSR put an ad in the New York Times in 1932(?) for 100,000 skilled workers (electricians, plumbers, etc.). So grim were the times in the USA that more than 100,000 workers applied. It's a different matter that they rapidly became disenchanted with the worker's paradise. The point is that when times become bad in the USA, people are willing to emigrate from the USA and prospective immigrants think again. People calculate the pros and cons, and keep adjusting their calculations. The influx of West Europeans has long since subsided to a trickle as the cons outweigh the pros (for them).

Hello all -
I'm in the US right now, and although I wasn't at the DC protest, I WAS at one of the thousands of "local tea parties" that were held across the country on the same day.
I can assure you, these people are not "right wing nut jobs" as some members of congress and the mainstream media have labeled them. I saw senior citizens, thirtysomethings with their kids, and a lot of people holding signs saying they were small business owners. They were black, white, latino, asian - all across the spectrum of race, gender and income levels. Each had their own reason for attending, but it seemed that they were are ALL concerned about three major issues:
- the amount of debt the US is amassing
- the increasing size of the federal government
- the unprecedented level of involvement the government has recently exercised within the business community
The role of the US media is now nothing more than a propaganda machine (both liberal and conservative outlets)...Americans are left with the confusing task of weeding out kernels of truth to determine what's truly happening in the US.
We all hope the US is not headed for the type of economic crash previously experienced in Argentina
I totally agree that BOTH sides of the political spectrum are now run by extremists, but I believe most Americans are more moderate...I've always believed we should have a viable moderate third party. They would win every election!

Back