Marriage In Buenos Aires (Preferably Not In Capital)

I just went today to do the marriage stuff in zona norte. The judge refused to allow us to get married because my tourist visa is expired. She said she will only allow us if we get a letter from the supervisor of my file in migrations. Unfortunately the supervisor said he can't write a letter like that so our only options are to

1. Go back to the judge and beg her to let us get married.
2. Change the address on my fiance's DNI so that we can try in another area (more delays and paperwork).
3. Write some letter to the supervisor at migrations explaining whats happened to us and why I'm here illegally (long and horrible story, a lot of really unfair and terrible things have happened to us) and he said he will try to do something with it.

Oh and we only have 3 days to get this resolved or we have to change our marriage date and try again later. So moral of the story, make sure your legal situation is spotless and always watch your back because despite the fact that there are illegal people everywhere in this country you will be persecuted, especially if you're non-mercosur. (The most ironic part of my troubles is that they all started when i *tried* to do a working visa in this country last year. Before when i was illegal I had no troubles whatsoever. Obviously persecuting people that are trying to follow the law is the Argentine philosophy.)

Cant you just go to uruguay and re enter the country with a fresh tourist visa

Cant you just go to uruguay and re enter the country with a fresh tourist visa

I suspect that since poster says she was trying for work visa, and that she already has an immigration officer assigned to her case, she is in a bit of visa limbo where she's no longer allowed in as just a tourist but has to wait until new status processed or something of the like.... If she can get a tourist visa, the day trip to Carmelo is the easiest if you're in zona Norte. From Tigre there is a catamaran cacciole or something of the like that leaves in the morning and you arrive in Carmelo, have time to grab some lunch, and come back on the return trip at about 2 pm. From Tigre if you go around the roundabout in front of the train station to the left, over the bridge, take a right, you will see the kiosk and dock for cacciole.

We were in this dilemma recently and apparently there is some sort of ´10 day legal status´ type visa that you can apply for down at Migraciones that you can apply for even if you´re here on an expired tourist visa. It gives you the ability to go and get married legally during those 10 days. I don´t remember if there was a cost involved at all, but the woman at the information desk said it would suffice.
Could be an option if you only have 3 days to rush about and don´t want to spend $700 pesos. Good luck.

And it depends on how long you've been in the country. If you're trying to get legal here and you have maybe 3 or 4 fines paid for overstaying, you're making yourself stand out like a sore thumb if you leave the country.

My advice to the person who said that the judge won't allow him/her to get married: Try a different registro civil. In the past few weeks, I've been learning more about marriage in Argentina than I ever wanted to know, and going to a different registro civil seems to work wonders.

I suspect that since poster says she was trying for work visa, and that she already has an immigration officer assigned to her case, she is in a bit of visa limbo where she's no longer allowed in as just a tourist but has to wait until new status processed or something of the like.... If she can get a tourist visa, the day trip to Carmelo is the easiest if you're in zona Norte. From Tigre there is a catamaran cacciole or something of the like that leaves in the morning and you arrive in Carmelo, have time to grab some lunch, and come back on the return trip at about 2 pm. From Tigre if you go around the roundabout in front of the train station to the left, over the bridge, take a right, you will see the kiosk and dock for cacciole.

The visa would need to be up to date anyway, no matter what s/he is doing. By far the easiest thing is to just get a new tourist visa and re-enter the country, get married and apply for perm residency. I can't imagine it being any kind of issue, esp if the poster's fiancee is there.

Hello there!

I got married to an Argentinian woman at the end of January. Because I am a UK citizen and been living here for 2 years on a tourist visa, I ensured that my visa was up to date before making my application to the registro civil towards the end of last year. Since I had
been divorced in the UK after a long marriage, I had to provide birth cert, previous marriage cert and divorce cert, all apostilled in the UK and all translated by an official translator here in Bs As. You can get a list of these translators online.

I would imagine that your American novio will have to go through the same process but of course it will be simpler than my case if he has not been married before.

I am now starting the process for obtaining a DNI, initially through migraciones in Puerto Madero. This is always a slow process, they seem to take pleasure in holding up your application if they can possibly do so! It can be frustrating at times because they love their tramite! And they love colas!! You only have to look at the banks on Monday morning at 9am, one hour before they open, to see that!

I hope this information will assist you.

First off I'm a guy, but yes. This is what has happened. I tried to apply for a work visa last year but it didn't go through because theres a step where you have to go to AFIP (or ANSES, i don't remember which) and get some number so that you can get the alta temprana, I didn't know about this, neither did the human resources department of my employer, and they never mentioned it at all at migrations. So they denied my visa and then marked me as "expelled from the country" because apparently I'm some kind of terrible criminal that was trying to "dupe" the government or something (I'm getting the same treatment as a foreigner that sells drugs or is some kind of murderer). So I don't have the option of leaving the country and coming back to renew the visa otherwise i would, if i leave I can't return for 5 years which to be honest is an option thats looking more and more appealing to me and my fiance. After dealing with all this for a year, being unempoyed, being scammed by a con-artist posing as a lawyer (who stole 7000 pesos) and then being denied the right to marriage just because we were unlucky enough to get a judge that actually looks at the visa and cares about the status, we've seriously considered just leaving. Its really sad that all this has happened over a simple lack of communication when i applied for my working visa.

Back