Marriage to Mercosur resident, ultima prorroga

Now that you know NOT to go to Colonia, all you have to do is get married, get your documents in order, and make an appointment with migraciones. Your wife does not have to be a citizen, but she must have resident status in Argentina. Migraciones will want to see her DNI. If she has been here since she was three she should have one by now.:D

Bajo_cero2 said:
b) Your fiance should became argentinian. Then you can get automat permanent residency. This is just in case you have taxes issues.

Si puedo, Bajo Cero, cual es la relacion entre impuestos y residencia ? Maybe did I understand wrong

EricLovesBA said:
It was more her migratory status I was wondering about - i.e., if I marry her now, a mercosur Argentina resident, can that be the basis for me acquiring Argentine residency, or must she first become a citizen? If marrying her sooner does not provide a practical solution to my residency issue there is no point in rushing. It would be preferable to plan the wedding and enjoy it in a more romantic context.

Don`t marry in a hurry, this is not necesary. If you have a living plan in this country, you are an inhabitant and you are protected against deportation. This is not automatic, you have to enforce it though habeas corpus.
Keep all the invoices of furniture you have bought, this will help you if you have to deal with it.
I send you a pm.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, I have a case of a chinesse guy who was divorced but he said he was single. He was criminaly prosecuted by DGM. For china, you are single or married, there is not such a thing as divorced.
Regards

How did the DGM know he was ever married or divorced?

steveinbsas said:
How did the DGM know he was ever married or divorced?

I have no idea, I am not dealing with the DGM file.
He is applying for citizenship and I had to explain why even he had 2 criminal cases against him, he deserves the citizenship. That`s how I read the sentence of the criminal case. He was also prosecuted because DGM said the criminal record was fake, but it was real.
Regards

French jurist said:
Si puedo, Bajo Cero, cual es la relacion entre impuestos y residencia ? Maybe did I understand wrong

Some US citizens freak out about paying double tax and this is why they don`t want to become citizens. That`s why I explain the two alternatives.
Regards

I don't know if it was suggested but I would stay illegally in the country (under the radar, as someone said) and then when you go back to the US, "lose" your passport and get a new one.

JoeBlow said:
I don't know if it was suggested but I would stay illegally in the country (under the radar, as someone said) and then when you go back to the US, "lose" your passport and get a new one.

He is in the computer.
He should go for residency or citizenship, otherwise re entrying might be a problem.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
Some US citizens freak out about paying double tax and this is why they don`t want to become citizens. That`s why I explain the two alternatives.
Regards

How does this make a difference? If an individual has dual citizenship don't they incur taxes liabilities in both Argentina and the USA? Isn't this also true for a US citizen who has residency in Argentina?

There is a foreign income exemption of over $85,000 USD for US taxpayers working abroad, but I have also read that this does not apply to US citizens working in Argentina as there currently is no "tax treaty" between the two nations.

Can you clarify this?

I don't remember anyone on the forum ever saying they received the US tax exemption for income earned in Argentina.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Don`t marry in a hurry, this is not necesary. If you have a living plan in this country, you are an inhabitant and you are protected against deportation. This is not automatic, you have to enforce it though habeas corpus.
Keep all the invoices of furniture you have bought, this will help you if you have to deal with it.
I send you a pm.
Regards

Eric, Why would you spend the time and money to go through the judicial system when you are planning to get married anyway? If you are not sure you want to married it is probably better to wait, but if you're sure...perhaps it's the perfect time after all.;)

Back