Marriage to Mercosur resident, ultima prorroga

If she's a perm resident and u marry her....u will be elegible for perm residemcy right away. I speak from experience. She doen't have to be a citizen.

Ok, thanks all... yes, we did some more research and found something to support this idea that the residency is in fact good for conferring residency to a foreigner. Some search keywords that got us going in the right direction were

residente legal, residente permanente, radicacion permamente, esposa, esposo, conyugue.

The most interesting supporting statement is here, from the national government site:
http://www.argentina.gov.ar/argenti...?ea=2&frame1=3&subtema=156&tema=8&tramite=331

"Para el supuesto de solicitudes de residencias temporarias o permanentes por familiar argentino o radicado, nativos de países extra Mercosur se deberá acompañar además la partida de nacimiento traducida y legalizada.
Toda documentación expedida en país extranjero (incluida la expedida por los Consulados) deberá estar legalizada por el Consulado Argentino del país que expidió la misma, o bien legalizada con el sello de “Apostille” (para países no limítrofes ratificantes de la Convención de La Haya). Toda documentación redactada en idioma extranjero deberá estar traducida al idioma castellano y legalizada por el Colegio de Traductores Públicos.
Toda la documentación deberá presentarse en original y fotocopia, a fin de proceder a su certificación."

Things are looking up! Thanks again all for your encouragement :)

Maikito said:
If she's a perm resident and u marry her....u will be elegible for perm residemcy right away. I speak from experience. She doen't have to be a citizen.

In your case was there any special paperwork or any surprises in the process that I should know about? Any advice on the steps to take?

Thanks for sharing your experience!!

EricLovesBA said:
In your case was there any special paperwork or any surprises in the process that I should know about? Any advice on the steps to take?

Thanks for sharing your experience!!

Here's what syngirl recently shared:

syngirl said:
Definitely!

However getting your permanent residency as a spouse isn't simply a matter of going to migraciones.

You have to have the following --

1) Antecedentes penales from every country you've lived in (ie as a resident) for the last 5 years

2) Birth Certificate

Send these to be legalised at the Argentine Embassy in my home country. (Depending on your citizenship that may vary)

3) Get those documents translated by a certified translator here in Argentina

4) While you're at it, photocopy the ID page of your passport and get it translated and certified as well (I hadn't done this since I assumed a passport is legal in and of itself, why should I need to, that resulted in another run around)

5) Get your antecedentes penales from here (you'll need a photocopy of the ID page of your passport for that as well, a separate one)

6) Photocopy all the pages of your passport

7) Photocopy all the pages of your spouses DNI or passport

8) Photocopy your marriage certificate / libreta in this case (if you got married outside of argentina and your certificate is in another language, you're going to need to do the same for it as you did with your birth cert and foreign antecedentes

9) Get 2 photos taken, it does not matter now if they are on celeste or white, you're going to get the new DNI.

10) Photocopy EVERYTHING

11) Make an appointment on the migraciones site for residency

12) Wait about 21 days for your turno.

13) Go in and see them with everything you have above + 600 pesos for residency + 40 pesos for DNI

14) Receive in the moment a piece of paper that is valid for 90 days, this is your residency. Your permanent papers and DNI will arrive in 90 days.

Congratulations, you have residency.

And this is from Ashley:

Ashley said:
I just did this last month - I now have my precaria and am awaiting my dni (a few stray documents they then decided I need renewed pending!).
You need:

Passport + photocopy of your passport (every single page, even the blank ones) + translated and stamped by a "traductor publico" (costs about 120 pesos) and "legalised" in the Colegio de traductores (costs about 40).

Birth Certificate with an apostille (translated and legalised as above - the apostille must also be translated)

Police check in your country of birth, apostilled (translated and legalised as above) - if you revisit the country while waiting or after it has already been issued, it is automatically invalidated (I'm having to get mine done again cause they missed this when I originally applied :S)

Police check here (at the Ministerio de Justicia - it costs about 50 pesos)

A stamped, official copy of your Marriage certificate (NOT the libreta familiar)

A photocopy of your partner's DNI (every single page)

A certificado de domicilio (You get this from the police station nearest to your house)

600 peso visa fee

I think that's it. When you have all the papers together, you then need to get an appointment at immigrations - You can book one on their webpage, you normally have to wait a month or so.

This gets you permanent residency - I was told it doesn't have to be renewed
Hope this helps!

And from Attorney in BA:

Attorney in BA said:
Documents you will need:

-Valid passport
-birth certificate
-Police records from the country (or countries) where you have lived for the past 5 years
-Argentine police records
-Argentine address certificate (may be the one issued by the police)
-DNI of your Argentine spouse
-Marriage certificate
-Full copy of everything

All documents issued abroad, except the passport, must be legalized with an Apostille or by the Argentine consulate with jurisdiction on the place where they were issued. All documents in a foreign language must be translated by an Argentine public translator, and legalized by the Colegio de Traductores.

The process is relatively fast. Once you file the documents you will receive a residencia precaria. In about a month (maybe a little more) you should get your residencia permanente.

Do you need help of a lawyer? No. You don't need a lawyer for this or for any type of visa or personal document in Argentina. What a lawyer can help you with is checking your documents to see if they fulfill all the requirements (for a spouse visa this is relatively simple, but not so much for other visas, such as rentista) and helping you go through the paperwork and avoiding the lines at Migraciones (when you go to Migraciones with a lawyer you will not spend more than 1 hour there, at the most).

Wow! Thanks for collecting all that info Steve! Looks like I'm going to have a busy few months ahead.

And as I posted yesterday on another thread, my permanent DNIs -- you get the card form and the book -- arrived yesterday, 29 days after we filed.

EricLovesBA said:
Ah, that's an excellent tip! In the back of my mind I specifically remember filling out information about my divorce in my passport application. I had assumed that this status would be reflected somewhere in my passport, but now I see that it is not. One less thing I have to worry about!

No, if you say you are single thiis is a lie. I have a case where he said that because in chinese you are single or married. He was prosecuted because of this. This delayed several years his procedure.
Regards

EricLovesBA said:
Yes, the word 'temp' is crossed out. She's a permanent resident.

it's not crossed out. They were trying to underline it and missed.

(this is a joke)

Bajo_cero2 said:
No, if you say you are single this is a lie. I have a case where he said that because in chinese you are single or married. He was prosecuted because of this. This delayed several years his procedure.
Regards

I agree. Given this information, I think this is good advice. Even though I was never asked to produce my divorce decree by migraciones for any reason (and I haven't tried to get married in Argentina), I'm glad it wasn't necessary. Even though the court order for my divorce included my full name, the Secretary of State of Utah abbreviated my middle name on the certificate. That is not something the folks at migraciones like.

I still wonder how they could possibly know if I was ever married or divorced if I didn't tell them. Perhaps it's easier for them to access this information about a Chinese citizen (possibly it's in a national dtatbase), but how or why would they ever access the county records (in Illinois) to find my marriage license or the state records in Utah to find my divorce decree?.

esllou said:
it's not crossed out. They were trying to underline it and missed.

(this is a joke)

Uh oh! Guess the wedding night may not turn out like I expected... V for Varon is "underlined" in her DNI too!!! I'd better start a new thread!!!! :eek:

Back