Married to an Argentine citizen, questions about residency

regulustera

Registered
Hi there! I am an American citizen just got married to an Argentine girl yesterday,and we’re about to go on our honeymoon to the Patagonia later this weekend. However, our plan is for me to stay in Argentina for the time being, so I’m looking at some of the stuff in the Migraciones website (https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/radicaciones-mercosur-residencia-permanente) that has me a bit confused:

1) Point 3 mentions “Certificado de Antecedentes Penales Argentinos emitido por Registro Nacional de Reincidencia o Policía Federal”. I’ve only ever been in Argentina under a tourist visa, so I’m not entirely sure where I would even get this information.

2) Point 4 mentions “Certificado que acredite fehacientemente que no registra condenas anteriores ni procesos penales en trámite, emitidos por las autoridades competentes de los países donde haya residido por un plazo superior a UN (1) año, durante el transcurso de los últimos TRES (3) años”. I took a Criminal Background Check from the FBI for unrelated reasons back in February of 2019, so it looks like I’ll have to do this again. Will I need to travel back to the US to start this process again, then come back?

3) Point 6 mentions “Ingreso: Sello de ingreso al país estampado en el documento de viaje.” I actually entered the country back in December of last year, so I’ll likely have to go to Retiro to ask for an extension to my tourist visa. My question is if this will be possible if I already asked for an extension years ago. I’m currently in the middle of my 90 day stay, and I just want to know it won’t be affected by the time I stayed 180 days.

4) Point 7 mentions “Certificado de Domicilio o una factura de algún servicio público a su nombre (ABL, luz, agua o gas).” I naturally don’t have this in Argentina as I’ve never lived here, but information I see online is that this would apply to my American residence. Problem here is that I lived with my parents there, so I was wondering if a bank or car registration statement would work in lieu of that, as I never took care of utilities.

This is all stuff we are planning to tackle head on after the honeymoon, but I would like to have an advance head start if possible. Thank you for any advice.

1. Go to police station here and get it. Doesn't matter that you've been here as a tourist.

2. FBI background check from US. No need to go to US. Use a company that can email the results as well as mail them.

3. Won't be a problem. You also have the precaria option since you're applying for residency

4. Go to the police station with you're wife and her DNI and a bill and you'll be able to get it. You'll explain that everything is in her name. You can't use anything from the US

1. Go to police station here and get it. Doesn't matter that you've been here as a tourist.

2. FBI background check from US. No need to go to US. Use a company that can email the results as well as mail them.

3. Won't be a problem. You also have the precaria option since you're applying for residency

4. Go to the police station with you're wife and her DNI and a bill and you'll be able to get it. You'll explain that everything is in her name. You can't use anything from the US
1. Nowadays this is not that easy, the police is not Federal anymore. The county police ask for an invoice under your name, a lease contract, etc.
3. Now as the spouse of an Argentine, you are in possession of citizenship, so, you should not worry about to extend the visa. You have to decide if you go for second class citizenship (Legal residency) or full citizenship that you can apply at a Federal Court.
You can apply for citizenship without the local green card (residency legal). It is always better to be a citizen.

To get certificado de domocilio you just go to the police station tell them where you are staying and they will come the next day to check you are there and it is done. When I bought my place I was staying in a B&B, that address went on my certificado de domicilio I think at the time it cost me about five peso. I have no idea what it would cost now as most things are about twenty times the price.

To get certificado de domocilio you just go to the police station tell them where you are staying and they will come the next day to check you are there and it is done. When I bought my place I was staying in a B&B, that address went on my certificado de domicilio I think at the time it cost me about five peso. I have no idea what it would cost now as most things are about twenty times the price.
Next day lol. You must have done that a long time ago. You'll be lucky if they come within the next month.

They do not go anymore. They ask for a servicio under your name or a lease.
Can confirm two things from last year for me at least here in CABA:
- Migraciones took my Fibertel bill as a proof of address
- The police precinct took my DNI as proof of address to issue the Certificado de Domicilio and gave it to me on the spot, no fees or anything

Your mileage may of course vary, and most importantly, congratulations! I'm coming up on a year of marriage myself, and boy, the first year has had its bumpy moments, but I can confidently say I love my husband more today than when I married him, and I've learned a lot about myself in the process too.

the most painful thing to do is the FBI background check + apostille.

In the USA, it takes 24hrs and then you need to send it to DC for rubber stamping (taking weeks now). They have electronic machines for taking finger prints.

Abroad... first you'll need to get your finger prints inked and sent in. You will need to print a special form of the right size for it. Do it at least twice in case they have issues reading your prints. Ugh. After that, if you have family who can forward/print the fbi background check to the state department for apostille... that's probably easier.

the most painful thing to do is the FBI background check + apostille.

In the USA, it takes 24hrs and then you need to send it to DC for rubber stamping (taking weeks now). They have electronic machines for taking finger prints.

Abroad... first you'll need to get your finger prints inked and sent in. You will need to print a special form of the right size for it. Do it at least twice in case they have issues reading your prints. Ugh. After that, if you have family who can forward/print the fbi background check to the state department for apostille... that's probably easier.
It's not as complicated as that. There are cheap-ish courrier services. I think I paid like 80 bucks. Extra 20 if you want an emailed copy of the report. They also accept your fingerprints by scanned email. I used fingerprints from a previous report that I had a pdf of.. It's not like they change. Took like 3 weeks to receive results.

Thanks for the replies. We’re finally starting to get this process started and have some left over questions:

Is there any place I can get my fingerprints specifically? The US Embassy website mentions the Centro Nacional de Reincidencia, which is a bit far away since I’m staying in Munro. Also, they don’t answer the phone number online, so I’m not sure if they’ll ask me to take an appointment to get my fingerprints in the first place. I’m planning to send them to my parents in the US once this is done.

Would a Declaración Jurada de Domicilio work for the address? I had to make one when I got married, and I got it done on the spot at the Registro Civil.

I don’t have a DNI yet btw. Since I’m still under a tourist visa, is this possible for me or only once I’ve gotten a different status?

Back