Marrying in Argentina (and the US?)

allcraz

Registered
A US citizen plans to marry an Argentine in Argentina and live in Argentina. Would it be wise to be married legally in the States as well? Can it be done in any order? What are the benefits to being legally married in both countries? Anyone have experiences or knowledge they would like to share? Thank you.

No Idea, but I´m getting married next year. If u need some info for your party, let me know.

Did you get paid in dollars? I would check the IRS website. I know we don't live in the US and still have to file taxes for them. But a friend of mine lives in Japan for the last five years, since he has no pay in dollars or works for an American company he doesn't pay US taxes.

No, I don't get paid in dollars nor from a US company. I was just wondering, in general, if there were risks / benefits / etc. I might not be aware of and should. But not necessarily concerning taxes.

Steve- Our CPA told us no matter where you leave if you are US you pay taxes. Which is ironic, because paying tax aren't required by the Constitution.

criswkh said:
Steve- Our CPA told us no matter where you leave if you are US you pay taxes. Which is ironic, because paying tax aren't required by the Constitution.

I suggest you ask another CPA. There is an exemption of about $84K for US citizens working abroad. This applies only to active income, and if you aren't paying into a "social security" type program in the foreign country, you are subject to FICA in the US (on the foreign income). Foreign rents and capital gains are subject to US taxation.

The exemption could be changed or even eliminated in the future.

Back