Meeting Argies

No, Lucas is correct, Gringo is an old spanish word used to refer to any foreigner that cant speak spanish. The word was popularized by the mexicans and their relation with the US, but that doesnt mean the word exclusively refers to americans or english speaking people.

And yes, traditionaly in argentina the word gringo was used to refer to italians, as there were so many.

Personally as an Argentine myself I find the word "gringo" quite offensive, since now-a-days it's used in hate tones towards US citizens and most of my family is in the states.

Also, I could be your friend if you liked, then again I don't have many Argentine friends since I am pretty much a foreigner in my own country, so to speak.

FWIW, my Argentine friends use "gringo" regularly and use it specifically to refer to people from the US although on rare occasions I've heard it used for a Brit (but I'm pretty sure the speaker didn't know the subject was British but instead assumed someone from the US).

I think the relationship thing really helps - if you end up with a local girlfriend you will also end up as part of her network of friends and family/etc. When I got here I ended up with an instant network of local friends/etc. because of this - and the biggest challenge we normally have is getting to spend time alone :) lol (As in just the two of us :) I'm sure this is not the only way to establish a friendship network of locals but it has worked for me :)

agua said:
Hey,

So I've been living and working here for 6 months now and have been having trouble meeting Argentines, something I'd like to do. I realize in 6 months I'm not going to have a complete support network of friends here, but I just don't know where to go or what to do to meet them. It's frustrating because I live in Las Cañitas, a very vibrant part of the city, and I go out and see a million Argentines happily eating dinner with their friends. In my ideal situation I'd have a mixture of expat and Argentine friends and probably an Argentine girlfriend (especially to help me master my spanish and learn more about the culture). If it matters, I'm 24. I swear I'm a very good person, just slightly confused on what to do!

I guess my point is I feel like I'm in a rut where I'm not going to meet others because I'm not doing anything to change that. What do you recommend I do to meet nice Argentines? I'd really appreciate only constructive comments.

Thanks!

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but it is very difficult to make friends in this country among Argentines. They are cold and stand-offish. It is basically impossible to meet people going out in bars, clubs, etc.; if you are part of some organized activity like horse-riding, dancing, chess, sports, whatever, you may meet people that way though. But if you don't make an effort to do that you can go by literally months without making any friends in this country. There is a real contrast to Brazil, where I always make friends basically on the first day I get there.

It is especially difficult to make same-sex friends I think. I lived in Argentina for over a year and I had girlfriends, but I never had any Argentine guys as friends. I think it might be the same for girls.

FWIW, my Argentine friends use "gringo" regularly and use it specifically to refer to people from the US although on rare occasions I've heard it used for a Brit (but I'm pretty sure the speaker didn't know the subject was British but instead assumed someone from the US).

This is something new in Argentina, I would say 'imported' by incoming tourists from the USA and Hollywood movies dubbed in Mexico or Miami. Gringos in Argentina were always foreigners who couldn't speak properly castellano, mostly italians- as they were the largest inmigration group. There are hundreds of Argentine books from the 19th and early 20th centuries talking about gringos, for example by José Hernández (read Martín Fierro).
Here is an excellent article.
We even had a President whose nickname was "El Gringo": Carlos Pellegrini (born in Buenos Aires, descendent of italians).

And gringo is in Argentina NOT offensive, from a newspaper in Río Negro:

¡Cuántos paisanos lo recuerdan con su rastrojero, surcando huellas en el interior de la provincia!. Para muchos fue más que un simple técnico, fue "el amigo". Para otros, que venimos trabajando con él desde hace muchos años, fue como un padre. Gringo, siempre te recordaremos..."

Clearly not offensive.

verito said:
Yankees (yanqui) refers only to Americans. Gringo refers to AMERICAN and ENGLISH people, but no italians please!! those are Tanos, polish are Polacos, French are Franchutes, Spanish are Gallegos! some people have quite an imagination!!

Verito do not clear things up that is getting more darker

Go to a gymn and work out, go to places to do activities to start a conversation is not difficult at all, be spontaneous and all will go right, be positive and in not so long you will be meeting people, dating someone and aving friends and Iam sure you will
Reina
Besides you are exotic here take advantage of that

Amargo said:
This is something new in Argentina, I would say 'imported' by incoming tourists from the USA and Hollywood movies dubbed in Mexico or Miami. Gringos in Argentina were always foreigners who couldn't speak properly castellano, mostly italians- as they were the largest inmigration group. There are hundreds of Argentine books from the 19th and early 20th centuries talking about gringos, for example by José Hernández (read Martín Fierro).
Here is an excellent article.
We even had a President whose nickname was "El Gringo": Carlos Pellegrini (born in Buenos Aires, descendent of italians).

And gringo is in Argentina NOT offensive, from a newspaper in Río Negro:

Clearly not offensive.

Agreed it may be newish but personally, I've only ever heard it used to describe people from the US. As to whether or not it's offensive - well, it really depends on the context and speaker. I have some friends that call me Gringa with affection. I've also heard it used frequently with a less than kind intent behind it (think basically that it's being used interchangeably with "stupid foreigner".) Probably equivalent to Argie in terms of offensiveness ;)

My lonely planet (french version) tells, as a "fun fact", that the term "Gringo" comes from Mexico. According to the guide, it mentions that it came from "Green, go!", refering to land attacks of the USA during the Mexican-American war (mid-19's century i believe).

So, yes, supposedly, only for american citizens.

And this is my first post =)

Regards,

Back