Melancholy for my former country … and how it’s changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I do not understand with the Trump crowd is why they live in a place like Argentina or the rest of latin america amongst brown, indigenous, or people of colour then spout their love for him. Is USA not the best? Why are you retiring or living here in a "shithole"? Why do live amongst all the brown people you hate? I don't understand that.

As to the rest of the thread. I do understand the feeling of losing your country of birth. Seeing the July 2021 riots in South Africa really filled me with despair and anger and sadness. This coming after the poor handling of COVID and really sad state of the economy really reinforced and justified my reasons to leave.

I also felt like I never fitted in. You are not part of the white people because you don't share their racist or casual racist beliefs and you don't fit in with the black people because you are viewed with suspicion because you are white. Other race groups are very insular as well and are not too welcoming. Moving here was a natural step once I got married. Its not at all a bed of roses and there are so many things wrong but its different and hurts less and feels more welcoming.

San Miguel de Allende is basically a little Trumpistan in Mexico and it's weird, that being said, I think a lot people lack critical thinking skills, and feel that they're somehow different from other immigrants/emigrants because they have money, as if those who migrate to the US don't, or aren't doing important jobs Americans don't/can't do. I have a very left wing point of view on migration, and with the ongoing climate change, people are either going to have to adopt these views too, or literally "build the wall" because large swaths of Earth aren't going to be suitable for human inhabitation by the end of the century, if not sooner, whether it's the Caribbean and Golden Triangle, Bangladesh and Micronesia, or the Gulf States.

Regarding the racism, I sympathize as I'm in an interracial, cultural, and lingual (my husband doesn't speak English) gay marriage myself, and there are large parts of North America that wouldn't be comfortable living for us. Here it's less of an issue, not that homophobia and racism don't exist, it's just different than American racism. While we "look" straight, it's clear my husband is mestizo and doesn't speak English, and that's enough for him to be told to "Go back to Mexico" by some Americans. When I explained this to him, he said "pero soy Argentino...", well, everything South of Texas is Mexico to backwards people. Argentina is by no means a panacea, the racism and homophobia are less loud and proud, while still present.

I despise the Republican and Democrat parties equally; I'm not speaking against the ordinary people, but the party machinery is rotten to the core.

Trump was an idiot, and a terrible president, not to mention a megalomaniac of biblical proportions.
Biden is an idiot, and a terrible president, not to mention visibly senile.

For the sake of full disclosure, I don't have a dog in the fight between Democrats and Republicans, I'm an independent not because I'm a centrist, but because I suppose I would be called a Marxist by both parties, and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong, though I prefer to call myself a leftist.

That being said, I agree they're both evil, but for different reasons. I loathe the Republicans because they're basically Dixiecrats, and that's the antithesis of my beliefs, and I loathe the Democrats because every chance they've been given to make life better for the average American they've chose to help themselves and donors instead, constantly fail to deliver the things the campaign on, and all the while they pretend to be morally superior to Republicans. Donald Trump was president because they chosen god damn Hillary to run against him.

Both Republicans and Democrats act like so much has changed now that Biden is president and it hasn't. Do I prefer Joe Biden as president over Trump? Sure, but the same way I prefer being stabbed over being shot. Life continues to get increasingly difficult for the majority of Americans, and looking at either of these two senile sexual predators for a solution is a fruitless endeavor.

This. I was up at Camp Pendleton going through the Devil Pups program in the summer of 1974 when Dick Nixon resigned. The manner in which the DI's conveyed the information to us was grim, as though they were announcing the end of the world. It wasn't the end of the world, but it was the beginning of the end of the USA.

And the knowledge that what happened on Jan 6 was not what we were told. I've seen the video of the security guards opening the doors and letting the protestors inside, and they entered quietly and peacefully, in a calm, ordinary manner. Which means the whole thing was an operation.

I despise the Republican and Democrat parties equally; I'm not speaking against the ordinary people, but the party machinery is rotten to the core.

Trump was an idiot, and a terrible president, not to mention a megalomaniac of biblical proportions.
Biden is an idiot, and a terrible president, not to mention visibly senile.

Anyhow, we are all here now, all expats together. It would be foolish for us to argue amongst ourselves about the three ring circus taking place in Yanquilandia.

In the second Jurassic Park book by Michael Crichton, there was a chapter heading I recall clearly, "as the Edge of Chaos approaches, survival of both groups and individuals becomes increasingly unlikely."
QAnon much? Let me guess - you are anti-vacuna, terra-planista, and negacionista?

San Miguel de Allende is basically a little Trumpistan in Mexico and it's weird, that being said, I think a lot people lack critical thinking skills, and feel that they're somehow different from other immigrants/emigrants because they have money, as if those who migrate to the US don't, or aren't doing important jobs Americans don't/can't do. I have a very left wing point of view on migration, and with the ongoing climate change, people are either going to have to adopt these views too, or literally "build the wall" because large swaths of Earth aren't going to be suitable for human inhabitation by the end of the century, if not sooner, whether it's the Caribbean and Golden Triangle, Bangladesh and Micronesia, or the Gulf States.

Regarding the racism, I sympathize as I'm in an interracial, cultural, and lingual (my husband doesn't speak English) gay marriage myself, and there are large parts of North America that wouldn't be comfortable living for us. Here it's less of an issue, not that homophobia and racism don't exist, it's just different than American racism. While we "look" straight, it's clear my husband is mestizo and doesn't speak English, and that's enough for him to be told to "Go back to Mexico" by some Americans. When I explained this to him, he said "pero soy Argentino...", well, everything South of Texas is Mexico to backwards people. Argentina is by no means a panacea, the racism and homophobia are less loud and proud, while still present.

For the sake of full disclosure, I don't have a dog in the fight between Democrats and Republicans, I'm an independent not because I'm a centrist, but because I suppose I would be called a Marxist by both parties, and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong, though I prefer to call myself a leftist.

That being said, I agree they're both evil, but for different reasons. I loathe the Republicans because they're basically Dixiecrats, and that's the antithesis of my beliefs, and I loathe the Democrats because every chance they've been given to make life better for the average American they've chose to help themselves and donors instead, constantly fail to deliver the things the campaign on, and all the while they pretend to be morally superior to Republicans. Donald Trump was president because they chosen god damn Hillary to run against him.

Both Republicans and Democrats act like so much has changed now that Biden is president and it hasn't. Do I prefer Joe Biden as president over Trump? Sure, but the same way I prefer being stabbed over being shot. Life continues to get increasingly difficult for the majority of Americans, and looking at either of these two senile sexual predators for a solution is a fruitless endeavor.
It is not hard to be morally superior to racists, xenophobes, antisemites, islamophobes, trumpistas, qanonistas, supremacistas, misogynists, bigots, deplorables, evangelicos, macristas, cipayos, etc.

I would like Americans to feel this same sense of sadness for what their country has done to others. What you saw on Jan 6 pales in comparison to what you have done around the world.

Please apologize for all the evil your government has inflicted on the natives of Australia.

Please apologize for all the evil your government has inflicted on the natives of Australia.
I feel terrible for any evil that any country including the US has inflicted on any human being and also animals… it’s hard for me to apologize because I didn’t do these things personally so how can I apologize ?… Also, I don’t agree with the subjugation of anyone anywhere … And the government in the US is an entity that I don’t like at all. I am sorry for the suffering of anyone in the world who has been subjected to torture , harm, separation from
Their family, poverty or famine. I do not represent the US…, I don’t live there anymore … I just still have a passport so I can still visit family once every two years. Please don’t pick on me or bully me .
Thank you

QAnon much? Let me guess - you are anti-vacuna, terra-planista, and negacionista?

No, it's complicated, no, and no.

The vaccine issue is very complex, and we're not allowed to discuss it here.
QAnon, Flat Earth Theory, and denying the horrors of the dictatorship, (I think this is what you mean by negacionista?), are just dumb.

I feel terrible for any evil that any country including the US has inflicted on any human being and also animals… it’s hard for me to apologize because I didn’t do these things personally so how can I apologize ?… Also, I don’t agree with the subjugation of anyone anywhere … And the government in the US is an entity that I don’t like at all. I am sorry for the suffering of anyone in the world who has been subjected to torture , harm, separation from
Their family, poverty or famine. I do not represent the US…, I don’t live there anymore … I just still have a passport so I can still visit family once every two years. Please don’t pick on me or bully me .
Thank you

I was picking on ventanilla.

You're good Millie, I don't blame you for the military industrial complex.

JMHarris said:
No, it's complicated, no, and no.
The vaccine issue is very complex, and we're not allowed to discuss it here.
QAnon, Flat Earth Theory, and denying the horrors of the dictatorship, (I think this is what you mean by negacionista?), are just dumb.

You could of fooled me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back