Mercado Central

janrick

Registered
Hi
Anyone have any experience from buying meat and vegatables in Mercado Central?
I am new in Bs Aires and someone told me you can get good deals there, but what about the quality?
and its supposed to be crowded
is it worth going?

Anyone has any experience?

Thanks in advance

/ JR

Almost every fruit and vegetable you buy in smaller stores and verdulerías is purchased there as that is the wholesale market for capital federal. They sell every range of qulaity there, from high end to low end. You save at least 50% over store prices, however you usually have to buy large quantities of stuff. Most providers won't sell you 3 lemons and 1kg of bananas and give you wholesale prices. It can get very crowded. It's better if you go with a few people and buy in a group unless you have a lot of people to feed at home or a restaurant. Also if you buy a whole crate of something they charge you a deposit for the crate so bring boxes / bags to carry stuff back with you unless you plan to go back and return the crates.
http://www.mercadocentral.com.ar/site2006/index.php?id=tw_redireccion

Mercado Central is not for buying a handful of fruits and vegetables. This is where many stores and sellers buy their products to sell.

It is also very impractical to get there. it is outside of the city in the south zone. The only option is to take a series of buses from where you are staying. And even then it is difficult. The area is also defiantly not the safest of areas. I would not recommend going.

I went with a group of people, in an old beat up car, mid-day, it was fine as it was teeming with activity. I wouldn't go there alone or by public transportation.

BROOKLYN said:
where is this mercado central located??

It's a short distance past General Paz, close to Villa Lugano. It's technically in Tapiales, which is inside of the partido de La Matanza.

You can actually see it on your way to Ezeiza.

On saturday you can buy smaller amounts. Prices? Morron rojo is 8 pesos in Coto, 6 kilos for 10 pesos at the Mercado Central. The big deal is to buy fruit by box. High end Orange by box (don´t remember exactly but it was about 20 kilos) is about 15 pesos.
Regards

Back