Mercado Central

glasgowjohn

Registered
Several times over the last few years there have been recommendations to use the Mercado Central for cheap food etc

Does anyone know why the mercado Central is situated where it is?

Its in the middle of no where and not very central for anything.

Try this. Fruits and veggies from the Mercado Central come to you.

http://www.labaratadelcentral.com.ar/

Its the wholesale market.
So its not located for the convenience of consumers- instead, it is where it is so hundreds of big trucks can get to it every day.
It used to be in the building that is now the Abasto Mall. Imagine 500 trucks on Cordoba all day every day.

This same thing has happened in every major city- the main market in Paris was Les Halles- which was torn down in 1971, and replaced with- you guessed it- a shopping mall.

in the old days, wholesale produce markets were downtown, where rail lines met, and the density was the most.
now, they are always way out in the burbs, in every major city worldwide.
Even Tokyo is getting rid of the Tsukiji fish market, and moving it to the outskirts.

It is on the way to Ezeiza, you can actually see it from the highway on Ricchieri and Boulogne Sur Mer.

http://www.alcentral.com.ar/precios.html

Everything is less than half the price that you pay in the city at supermarkets.

It is on the way to Ezeiza, you can actually see it from the highway on Ricchieri and Boulogne Sur Mer.

http://www.alcentral...ar/precios.html

Everything is less than half the price that you pay in the city at supermarkets.

You know, I haven't had the greatest luck. We went a few times but by the time you factor in tolls, gas, etc and the prices advertised weren't the prices we paid there, it didn't wind up being all that great a deal. I suppose I should register as a mayorista there - might make it worth going back to try one more time.

Even though I pay more at my local vedularia , I support my local business. It is 1 block from my house , open at good hours , and the owner is of Italian descent , so I order and speak to him in Italian , which he enjoys , I enjoy , and I always leave with a smile. For the minimal I buy for me and my lovely wife , the connivence far outweighs the hassel of going to the central market. Traffic , tolls , gas , aggravation with driving are not worth the little savings.

Just be sure you wash all veggies & fruit with soap and vinegar .

Even though I pay more at my local vedularia , I support my local business. It is 1 block from my house , open at good hours , and the owner is of Italian descent , so I order and speak to him in Italian , which he enjoys , I enjoy , and I always leave with a smile. For the minimal I buy for me and my lovely wife , the connivence far outweighs the hassel of going to the central market. Traffic , tolls , gas , aggravation with driving are not worth the little savings.

Just be sure you wash all veggies & fruit with soap and vinegar .
Definitely, you only go to the central market to buy in bulk, I would not go there to buy just for the week. Nothing better than supporting small businesses. I hate chains. Any chains.

Years ago, there was an amusement park in New Jersey (EEUU), across the Hudson from Manhattan. Their advertising jingle said that folks should take the bus. "Getting there was hal thef fun." Maybe this can apply to the Central Market?

The freeway tolls can be avoided if you drive on the "colectora" parallel to the freeway. Get on it as soon as you come in from Gral Paz Av. Go to the far end and make a U turn there.The same on the return trip.

Back