Mercado Pago and new Central Bank regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
"am I a trembling creature, or do I have the right?"

Just looking into this ourselves! We've just landed and will be here for about 6 months, but just using tourist visas to remote work.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get set up with MercadoPago if you don't have a DNI? It's pretty clear already that using cash for every single transaction mostly annoys the locals.

Just looking into this ourselves! We've just landed and will be here for about 6 months, but just using tourist visas to remote work.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get set up with MercadoPago if you don't have a DNI? It's pretty clear already that using cash for every single transaction mostly annoys the locals.
Some years ago it was possible to get set up using only a passport number. Not sure if that is still the case due to new security requirements or if this only apply when linking transactions to a credit or debit card instead of cash deposited to your CVU at a Rappipago etc.
Try contacting them directly and ask if it is possible to set up and validate your account without a DNI (as there is usually a digital verification step involved that only works with DNIs)

Some years ago it was possible to get set up using only a passport number. Not sure if that is still the case due to new security requirements or if this only apply when linking transactions to a credit or debit card instead of cash deposited to your CVU at a Rappipago etc.
Try contacting them directly and ask if it is possible to set up and validate your account without a DNI (as there is usually a digital verification step involved that only works with DNIs)

Still haven't figured out how to contact them directly. So far it seems to require that we have an account to contact them, which of course we can't create with a DNI. If anyone has a link that doesnt require login please let me know!
Is anyone aware of one of these cashless systems that can be used by a tourist/non-resident? (that isn't just a credit card). Obviously we're looking for a way to use our WU rate cash

Last edited:
Can you create an account at MercadoLibre? (Their sister company?) Usually that should also create an MP account or platform to contact them.

Still haven't figured out how to contact them directly. So far it seems to require that we have an account to contact them, which of course we can't create with a DNI. If anyone has a link that doesnt require login please let me know!
Is anyone aware of one of these cashless systems that can be used by a tourist/non-resident? (that isn't just a credit card). Obviously we're looking for a way to use our WU rate cash

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not getting one:
All the digital accounts, whether it be MercadoPago, Modo, etc. require a person's DNI and CUIT/CUIL as they're afraid of violating AFIP/BCRA KYC regulations. Cash is still very much king here, so look at stuff on ML and search the company's name, they usually have a website or Facebook/IG page, and you can get a discount too if you pay in cash.

Bank accounts are a pain in the ass/overrated here IMO. Most limit debit transactions to a maximum of $100K ARS (less than $500 a day), and withdraws from ATMs even more so at around $40K ARS, or less than $200. I'm fortunate to earn well for someone in Argentina but my credit card limit is only 40K, which isn't much, but it's nice to buy in interest free cuotas. I mention this because the only thing the bank account is good for is receiving/making transfers, (local and via WU) and the credit card. If it was just a debit card, it's not worth it as businesses/people will still happily accept bundles of cash; the hotel I stayed at in Bariloche even had a money counter when we handed them a brick of 50K pesos in 500s.

Lol You didn't get the locals if you think they are annoyed with cash:))) jaja they love cash. Dirty liquid cash from which they want pay taxes-they love it.

Lol You didn't get the locals if you think they are annoyed with cash:))) jaja they love cash. Dirty liquid cash from which they won't pay taxes-they love it.
Exactly right, the only thing that might annoy them is having to find change.

I have to keep a sense of humor when it comes to banking here.

I received a new debit card for my USA account last month. It was delivered in a plain envelope to my building's mailbox. I've had this account for 37 years with the same card number.

I received a new debit card this month for my Banco Ciudad account that I've had for three years. It was delivered by courier that required my signature. I haven't been able to log on to home banking for weeks and get a message that it appears someone tried to enter my account, so it's locked until I contact the bank. I went on Tuesday and met with a young guy who spoke with me in English. I didn't have my password with me, so nothing could be done. I waited one hour in line on Friday afternoon to talk with bank personnel. I have no cash, my new debit card isn't functioning although I entered information during a call to an automated 800 number, and I can't get into my account through Home Banking. When I need to buy food online and pay with Mercado Pago, the system accepted my old debit card number that had expired. The new card has a new number and new security code. I added the new card information to the site for payment, but it was rejected.

I've been here long enough to know that there are many situations here that require a great deal of patience, and this is one of them. I'll be going early on Monday morning to the bank to get in line without an appointment, since I cannot request one by entering the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back