Mercado Pago - Can I top my account up using a foreign debit card?

...Or using Western Union or Remitly, but I don't think they work for Mercado Pago, only traditional bank accounts...
I use Moneygram (another money transfer service) to transfer to Mercado Pago. I've been using it for a few months. Select "transfer to wallet." There's no fee, and the rate (when factoring in the WU fee) is better than Western Union most of the time (but worse than dolar blue these days).
...I raise the point of AFIP as many people from other countries don't realise their accounts can be tracked and are reported for reasonably low amounts, less than $350 USD....
Movements of money above certain (low) amounts have always been reported to and monitored by the AFIP at least during the 20 years I've been here, but that doesn't mean that it's a problem. There've been very few problems reported in these forums over the last 20 years by people who do transfers, and there are many posts by people who transfer much more than the amounts reported to the AFIP all the time, without ever having a problem. I'm one of those. I'm retired and I transfer money when I need it, frequently well above the amounts monitored by the AFIP. Of course, I could justify these transfers if it should ever become necessary, but it never has.
...I know several people who had their MP accounts blocked for receiving funds and not being able to justify them...
I've never heard of this happening here, and I've never seen this reported by anyone here on baexpats. That being said, if they couldn't justify the funds, maybe those people were doing something was raising obvious red flags.
...Just someething to keep in mind if you transferring in regularly, at some point, you may be required to present paperwork so it's good to keep track and keep things in order from the get go...
I'd say that's always good advice in Argentina.

If you have a DNI why not open up a local bank account and attach the Argentine debit card to the account, that way you can fund the Mercado Pago account via cash deposit into your Argentine bank account

Back