Charge foreign cards using Mercado Pago?

kpatagonia

Registered
Hello group! I'm wondering if anyone knows if Mercado Pago will accept foreign credit or debit cards? I have a small tourism business and when I have foreign clients sometimes I need to charge a deposit for their activities in advance, however I can't find the best way to accept a foreign credit card by sending a link. They usually pay the balance in cash but we like to have a deposit to confirm and since the credit cards give a decent rate it would be ideal. Thanks!

Yes they take international cards for MP.

TiendaNube is another. You can make site page with a few "trip packages" or "pay deposit" as items for sale. https://www.tiendanube.com/canales/tienda-online

Cafécito as well

Hello group! I'm wondering if anyone knows if Mercado Pago will accept foreign credit or debit cards

To better answer your question about MercadoPago accepting foreign cards, yes it is possible, though as far as I know you need to add a page to accept card payments on your web site. If your clients already have a MP account, then this is perhaps not needed. For your question though you indicate foreign cards, which means they probably do not have a MP account. In this case you use MP as the clearinghouse very similar to any other method to accept credit cards in other countries. The web developer who created your local website will know how add a page, or just a link-to-pay, to accept payments using MP, and they can probably walk you thru the steps to sign-up for a MP account to accept payments (and get the API key that the web developer will need). There are many way with MP, perhaps even a way using only WhatsApp, though I do not know those details. The english instructions are simple enough you might be able to do yourself. https://www.mercadopago.com.ar/developers/en/docs/payment-link/intro-button

Also, many local web developers will know how to add a quick page to accept payments using TiendaNube. Cafécito you can proably setup yourself since they walk you through setting up your own page on their hosted site.

A simple MP link-to-pay page will look like this:
Untitled1.png

Last edited:
Back