Mercosur Travel, Dni Or Passport?

Churchill

Registered
I have residency here and will be travelling to Santiago in a few weeks. From what I have been reading Chile is super cheap in comparison with Bs As and so wanted to take the opportunity to get a new phone and maybe laptop. From what I have read on a few Argie forums/blogs customs at EZE seem hot on checking the bags of returning Argies and making sure they havent brought back too much and declared too little. Therefore, I thought I may as well travel with my UK passport instead of just my DNI and see if I get given less of a once over. Any one any recent experiences?

You may have to travel with your UK passport anyway AFAIK. Most countries request/require passports ( I have heard Chile will allow you just to enter with DNI *but* I wouldn't chance it personally.) FWIW, last time I went, they did look at my US passport although I am perm resident here.

It does not really matter as the passport check is separate from the customs check. You might get in trouble if you return to Arg with passport and don't leave again within 3 months with it.

Churchill:
I went to Santiago in March. You should travel with both your U.K. and DNI. Chile immigration is first interested in your nationality and then your country of residence.When you return make sure you show your DNI together with your passport to the airline agent at check in.
I got into a small hassle with LAN because the agent kept looking for my Argentine reciprocracity fee receipt without asking me if I was a resident or not.Since she didn't mention the country but only "el recibo" I thought she meant the Chilean one which I showed her.Then it dawned on me that she didn't know that residents didn't pay that fee.
Chile due to its stable economy is able to offer lower prices on many products than is Argentina where businesses have to hedge considerably to try to stay ahead of inflation.However,lodging and food are still a little above B.A. prices.

Its not so much the stable economy but the fact that their import taxes are much less . Chilean governments , both right and left wing , have been traditioanlly supporters of free trade and the countru has strong bilateral agreements with many other countries

Thanks for the replies, I already spotted an English shop in Santiago that sells jaffa cakes, HP sauce and Marmite, oh to have a place like that over here.

Chile is cheaper but I wouldn't say it's super cheap. Make sure the phone is unlocked for International use! Although sometimes people get away with the DNI you really need your passport to enter Chile, it's only Mercosur citizens that can use the DNI to travel between Mercosur countries. You would then re-enter Argentina with your DNI as you're a resident and they want to see it here. Since Customs and Immigration are two different lines they won't be aware of what ID you used coming into the country.

If you're looking for British products check out:
Lider, they carry an assortment of stuff a lot of waitrose products
The English Emporio, variety of imported stuff
The Corner Shop, variety of imported stuff

Back