Mexican Groceries

NOLAchef

Registered
Anyone know of a store/market where I can buy specialty mexican foods such as corn tortillas, chilis, or masa??

In desperate need to spice up the food here....

Please, it's always a good thing to learn to use the search function of this site. You're not the first person to get fed up with the lack of spice in food here, and won't be the last, but it's better not to have a bunch of duplicate threads.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/11260-corn-tortillas-delivery.html

And for masa, the best thing that I've found here is 'harina paraguaya' available at most dieticas. Mexican chilis are not easily found here, but you can buy jalepenos and other hot peppers at verdulerias, and around town La Costeña is a brand that sells chipotle peppers in a can.

Enjoy!

Actually, Jumbo and Disco both are two chains that do carry a somewhat decent selection of import foods and are one of the few stores that you can count on to stock stuff like that. Casa Fiesta tortillas have reappeared (after an absence of more than a year) --but the price has jumped from 8 pesos for a package of 10 to more than $22 pesos! Crazy.I cannot justify buying them, when the smaller and poorer quality bimbo wraps cost just 8 pesos for a package (closer to 4-5 back when the tortillas were cheap). Tortilla chips in a few varying brands (including plain doritos even at stores like coto) have always (ok, usually) been around.

AJisthenewAR said:
We found tortilla chips and tortillas at (of all places) Jumbo!

I just picked up tortilla chips and salsa the other day at the Coto on Cabildo, near Lacroze.

In the produce and bakery area, they've got local and American tortilla chips, as well as flour tortillas (Bimbo).

All the salsas and taco sauces are in one of the aisles near the main entrance. They also had a nice selection of various sauces (A1, bbq sauce, etc) from the US as well.

I buy tortillas (corn and flour) and such through Ana of Itacate. She and her partner are two ladies from Mexico with a company to teach Mexican culture and they sell food too. Here is their current list of items: http://www.elportaldemexico.com/servicios/catering/itacate.html It changes as supplies vary (they had green tomatoes a month ago but not at the moment). Also they make yummy homemade salsas (some are very spicy) and homemade mole. I paid $18 pesos per dozen for homemade corn tortilla (have some chicken enchiladas in the fridge right now) and $18 pesos for 1/2 dozen "mega" flour tortillas for burritos (the normal size flour ones are $15 pesos for 12).

I don't know if they speak english.

The bimbo tortilla suck (which is so strange since I think they're a Mexican company).

haha you are right, bimbo is mexican but their products are adjusted to argentine bland taste... remember that Argentina's origins are mainly european (mainly itallian, spanish, french, german, english) and some latin influence but mainly in the north. it is very very recent that tourism suddenly took off, bringing more international food.

Much thanks! I received my first delivery from tortillpanchovilla yesterdatyand am very happy with their products. tomorrow i'm picking up an order from itacate for fresh tomatillos, poblanos, chipotles, and salsa valentina! thanks so much for the recommendations and allowing me to have some real mexican food!

Back