Microfinance And Economic Development Work In Buenos Aires

sarita1103

Registered
Hello all!

I will be moving to BA at the end of February to begin my studies in Development Management and Policy. I am currently working as a consultant in microfinance/economic development, and plan to continue working remotely as much as I can, but would like to know if anyone has any advice or input about types of work in this field in BA? I'd like to get involved in the local market to gain experience and new perspective. Also, if micro finance/development work is not available, I have experience in banking, operations, and risk management...any leads or advice on how to go about finding work in any of those areas? I have already reached out to my former employer (JPMorgan Chase) about potential opportunities, but don't want to count on anything from them. My classes will be in the evenings, so I can work normal business hours.

Thank you in advance for any advice on the job hunt!!

Sarah

I think your skill sets are good. After 4 months here I realize that language skill is the key.
Good Luck

Ah, yes! I forgot to mention that I have been living and working in Latin America (primarily based in Nicaragua) for the last 2 years, so I am close to fluent in Spanish ;)

If I was you, I would look into the burgeoning natural foods/farmers market scene here. Since traditional hiring/employee laws are so complicated, most small businesses here are family run, and relatively static- its very common for me to find that the best stores are run by the 4th generation of a family.
So no movement in many industries.

But the food scene here has exploded in the last 6 years, and at the forefront have been microbusiness projects like Puerto Cerrado restaurants, and suppliers and purveyors of all kinds of foods that are being ignored by the traditional supplier chain.
At places like El Galpon, or http://www.sabelatierra.com/ or http://www.planetajoy.com////////////////////////////////////////////////mercado/index.php, you see just exactly the kind of new ideas that could benefit most from your expertise-
decent tasting yogurt, organic chicken, good veggies, unpasteurized milk, more than just the same 3 cheeses-
and many of these ideas have a great chance of going bigger, if nurtured.

Hello all!

I will be moving to BA at the end of February to begin my studies in Development Management and Policy. I am currently working as a consultant in microfinance/economic development, and plan to continue working remotely as much as I can, but would like to know if anyone has any advice or input about types of work in this field in BA? I'd like to get involved in the local market to gain experience and new perspective. Also, if micro finance/development work is not available, I have experience in banking, operations, and risk management...any leads or advice on how to go about finding work in any of those areas? I have already reached out to my former employer (JPMorgan Chase) about potential opportunities, but don't want to count on anything from them. My classes will be in the evenings, so I can work normal business hours.

Thank you in advance for any advice on the job hunt!!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I would get in contact with the University di Tella and see what they have going on. I did some mentoring for a group called Bid Challenge that runs an annual business plan competition for "sustainable" businesses. I was mentoring in Biotech and Environmental technology but the plans seemed to cover a wide range (you can see them on the internet). I am sure they would also know about microfinance opportunities here.

Thanks for the recommendations, Ries and Mano Negra! I will look into these organizations and the University...I definitely am a foodie at heart, so the sustainable market is very interesting to me (even as a customer) ;)

Back