Milei alters Internet rules to make way for Elon Musk’s Starlink

Engaging in a business partnership with Elon Musk could be advantageous. Argentina is currently a lithium exporter, but there are concerns that the country isn't maximizing its profits. Ideally, the government should earn a significant portion of the revenue. This situation mirrors historical instances where European countries exploit African resources, offering minimal compensation compared to the actual value of the resources. In contrast, Russian trade agreements are viewed positively for being more beneficial. If we can negotiate good agreements, then this would be very positive.

I dont think its a "good thing", or a "bad thing".
I think its the truth.
even in the USA, Starlink is so expensive that only the upper 10% or so of the population can afford it. And currently, less than a half percent of the US population has chosen to pay for it.
This is just the way it is.
I certainly would not pay that much, in any country.
And in Argentina, its obviously true that the segment of the population that could afford starlink is probably under 1% , and, frankly, I would be amazed if more than a couple of hundred thousand people out of 40 million or so will actually pony up the dollars.
(business rates are higher)
Certainly, there will be customers, but for Milei, its another example of "flooding the zone with shit", as a US political strategist named this strategy.
It is a grand announcement of an ideological victory, but it affects neither the populace of Argentina, nor the internet service market of Argentina much at all.
99% of the population will still be unserved by this, but Milei can crow over another step towards a "free" market, without really changing anything.
Currently, about 92% of argentines live in urban areas, where fiber optic would be much more efficient and economical.
Don't know where you're getting that but, like cellphones, Starlink service slows way down in congested urban areas. It is, and was always intended to be, a service for rural areas with limited options. It has become very popular with RVers and boaters in the States. Maybe when they get all their satellites launched it will be better in cities.

Engaging in a business partnership with Elon Musk could be advantageous. Argentina is currently a lithium exporter, but there are concerns that the country isn't maximizing its profits. Ideally, the government should earn a significant portion of the revenue. This situation mirrors historical instances where European countries exploit African resources, offering minimal compensation compared to the actual value of the resources. In contrast, Russian trade agreements are viewed positively for being more beneficial. If we can negotiate good agreements, then this would be very positive.
It wouldn't be bad if end products will be made in Argentina, this would certainly maximise profit. Raw material is always subject of exploitation.

Don't know where you're getting that but, like cellphones, Starlink service slows way down in congested urban areas. It is, and was always intended to be, a service for rural areas with limited options. It has become very popular with RVers and boaters in the States. Maybe when they get all their satellites launched it will be better in cities.
Even when the remaining satellites are launched, to receive the service, you must have a clear line of sight to communicate with the low-orbit satellites. This approach is impractical in the city, especially when you have fiber optic services like Iplan, which offers 800 Mbps service, a much faster speed, and significantly lower price point than Starlink.

thats exactly what I said. 92% of argentines live in urban areas.
In the USA, which obviously has a higher standard of living, and more money to spend on things like this, .66% of the population pays for Starlink ( roughly 2 million people, out of 330 million). Here, in a poorer country fewer people than that would.
And how, exactly, satellites in low earth orbit generate jobs in Argentina, is a question I would like to see answered. Mercado libre would ship the recievers, the customer plugs them in. This would not be a big job provider.

Chile has tested this for the past two years. One of the first was a southern isolated town at the school to provide service to the students and the town residents. Now the Chile COPEC service stations will provide reliable internet along the highway at 70+ locations. Argentina needs the same for remote businesses, farming, mining, etc…, remote towns and schools. There are also existing Argentina companies that provide similar satellite service. None of them are needed in urban area.

Chile has tested this for the past two years. One of the first was a southern isolated town at the school to provide service to the students and the town residents. Now the Chile COPEC service stations will provide reliable internet along the highway at 70+ locations. Argentina needs the same for remote businesses, farming, mining, etc…, remote towns and schools. There are also existing Argentina companies that provide similar satellite service. None of them are needed in urban area.

Yes, those are ka-band satellites. They are stationary, and about 30,000 miles away, and have much higher latency than star link. Not the same product at all. They also likely require professional installation and maintenance.

Last edited:
Yes, those are ka-band satellites. They are stationary, and about 30,000 miles away, and have much higher latency than star link. Not the same product at all. They also likely require professional installation and maintenance.
You are correct. That was just a secondary comment about competition.

Still my main point is that Starlink is a specific service that fills an important need in Argentina, even though as others mentioned, it is a small population. Chile has similar needs and has been using Starlink for at least the past two years $480 installation and $52 USD per month. I have mixed emotions since I am not a fan of the Starlink owner and it is unfortunate that they have been able to pollute the sky. Amazon will also start with similar low earth orbit satellites.

1703541457848.png

Last edited:
Back