Milei Won. He is the new President of Argentina.

He should immediately reform the judiciary. That is a sine qua non of any reform here.

Like it or not, and despite the polemics expressed here by expat non voters, Milie was clearly the overwhelming choice of the Argentine people. Milie won the most popular votes ever by an Argentine presidential candidate and only Juan Peron won a greater percentage of the presidential vote. That makes Milie more popular and gives him greater legitimacy than Alfonsin, Menem, the Kirchners or Macri. The least we expats can due is to respect the Argentine peoples’ hard fought for right to their own free democratic choice.

Please explain
A populist president attacked by Leftists? You aren't familiar with Trump? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Argentina has worse financial problems than Trump ever faced so good luck to anyone willing to try to fix it all.

We can say hello again to Peronism once Milei's presidency is over as it will be a disaster. I think that Cafiero will eventually win the presidency.

We can say hello again to Peronism once Milei's presidency is over as it will be a disaster. I think that Cafiero will eventually win the presidency.

cafiero is as qualified to be president as an empanada. maybe less so.

regardless, we will see if the pendulum swings again or not. i think that depends on how successful milei is and what kind of change he is actually able to implement.

cafiero is as qualified to be president as an empanada. maybe less so.

regardless, we will see if the pendulum swings again or not. i think that depends on how successful milei is and what kind of change he is actually able to implement.
You made me laugh! Cristina was equally, if not even more, unqualified for the presidency and she still served two terms. The pendulum will swing back even harder, Milei's presidency will be a failure as the economic and sociocultural systems in Argentina are not set up to build a country to prosperity in the way of, say, Australia. And Milei won't actually change anything that matters structurally about the government and economy, he will probably just end up axing the benefits that help people survive on a day-to-day basis and claim that his way is working.
People will go back to voting for the "safe" option (Peronism) in a few short years, the Milei experiment will be tried and will fail.

Still waiting for your evidence that Milei is rabidly anti-gay
Milei himself is obviously homosexual.

Anyway, this surprises me greatly. It looks like he managed to consolidate the mainstream right after all, and will become the weakest president in 20 years, even though his win alone gives him a crazy strong mandate.

I was so wrong about Boric v. Kast resulting in the communist winning again. Damn, what a crazy result. Like, the 11% victory doesn't reflect the scale of the win, which could increase: Milei won 20 states (to Massa's 3) and basically got 90% of the Bullrich vote. Again, I was completely wrong, and it turns out that even though Massa for sure changed their circumstances around, it was only to make a respectable loss vs. total annihilation, when I thought maybe Massa could eke out the win.

Wild.

Like it or not, and despite the polemics expressed here by expat non voters, Milie was clearly the overwhelming choice of the Argentine people. Milie won the most popular votes ever by an Argentine presidential candidate and only Juan Peron won a greater percentage of the presidential vote. That makes Milie more popular and gives him greater legitimacy than Alfonsin, Menem, the Kirchners or Macri. The least we expats can due is to respect the Argentine peoples’ hard fought for right to their own free democratic choice.
You're right but I have a feeling that there are expats who think they know what is best no matter what the people think.

Back