mobile broadband

citygirl said:
Shouldn't need to jailbreak it if i'm just using it for skype correct? The iphone supports it.

For Skype, you don't need to jailbreak. If you want to tether a computer, it depends, mine needed to be jailbroken. I think - not sure - that unless the carrier implements it as an option, it will stay off-limits unless jailbroken.

At any rate, you won't need an unlock, which is more complicated, only a jailbreak - trivial to do.

Also, Skype on my movistar iPhone doesn't work great. The download speed is ok, the upload speed is slow - which means you'll hear the other party much better than they'll hear you. I don't have an iPhone 4, that might work better.

Sidebar:

Quick question to all the thread, are you all legal residents with DNI and therefore have cell phones plans with Claro/Movi/Personal which include data plans? OR I have been misinformed and you don't need a DNI to set up an account at these providers?

You can set up an account with Claro if you have a 2 year lease on an apartment, thats what I did. Otherwise find a friend with a DNI to help you out. Good Luck!

Bump, does anybody have recent experience of Mobile Broadband options in BA? Are any of them reliable?

I use Movistar and if you're on prepago like me, you pay $1 per day 3g unlimited up to a download limit which I can't remember, then it gets throttled down to almost non existent.
To be frank, it's utterly crap most of the time.

I use Movistar and if you're on prepago like me, you pay $1 per day 3g unlimited up to a download limit which I can't remember, then it gets throttled down to almost non existent.
To be frank, it's utterly crap most of the time.

10mb or in other words nothing (2-3 photos on Facebook).

I have the movistar tablet plan for my ipad which is $5/day but the throttling happens after 200mb which is a bit more reasonable. This also supports native tethering.

I have personal on my phone which is alright, most of the times it's slightly faster than the movistar but sometimes its slower, there are also large holes in the coverage (i.e. in recoleta almost non functional, in puerto madero very slow). '

Back