Moneda Melodramas

pauper said:
I just paid 10 pesos for an 8 peso bunch of flowers and received two one peso coins in change - this has made my day! The lows are low but the highs are incredibly high.

I went to CitiBank on Calle Florida (across from Galeria Pacifico) on Thursday, asked for monedas, and was given 20 AR$1 coins.

Right now I've only got about 40-45 pesos worth of monedas.

Hit the banks early in the day and whenever you pass one. NOT only when you need coins at 2:30pm.

I dont have a problem now, I can still suply my GF. But you have think before you pay. For example paying with 4 peso if you have to pay 2,5 or 26 when you have to pay 25. This useally work but sometimes they just give you more cash back

How long was the waitinglist?

Yes, it's like a game of chess and you have to think several moves ahead. For me 5 peso notes are like knights, an important piece in achieving your goal of a moneda checkmate at the register. Keep your even notes in one pocket and your fives in the other and you are on the way to getting maximum monedas in any transaction.

All this is now an amusing memory as I have a dealer (no markup).

My husband went to Retiro and got in the line 4 times (the line was very short yesterday). He came home with 70 pesos in 1 peso coins....We are a family of 4 with no car, so we spend an average of 9 pesos a day in bus tickets.

Anyway, I think monedas are getting easier to get, now that a few bus lines use the card system -not my bus line anyway...

Moxon said:
Yes, it's like a game of chess and you have to think several moves ahead. For me 5 peso notes are like knights, an important piece in achieving your goal of a moneda checkmate at the register. Keep your even notes in one pocket and your fives in the other and you are on the way to getting maximum monedas in any transaction.

All this is now an amusing memory as I have a dealer (no markup).

LOL ...
Very funny portrayal of REAL LIFE IN BA!!!
I have to do the same calculations each time.

When you need to pay 11 pesos, DONT give them a 20 bill. It may sound better to get "more change" but you´ll only get 2 x $2 and a $5. (NO COIN).
I always offer to "help" them by asking "Te doy 2 pesos?"

Buy handing $12 for an $11 bill they are forced to give you the coin, but they actually THANK YOU for it at the same time!!! HA!!

My newest experience with monedas is with COTO. Now they have posted signs at the cashier saying - sorry we apologize for the inconvenience but we do not have any monedas.
And what do they do if they do not have monedas? They ask you if you want to donate the monedas (so they do not have to give you any coins back, which is against the law - just as one gentleman pointed out to the cashier). What a racket! They do not even know what they are asking me to donate to. .Several times I just had to say no.

BlahBlah said:
Sometimes they just give you the 2 back

I bought some stuff at a kiosko a coupld of nights ago that came to AR$13.25.

I handed over AR$15.

The guy asked me if I had AR$0.25.

I said "No".

He handed me a AR$2 note.

Yeah, that happens a lot. Taxis wave the monedas as well.

Trying to get a bus ticket or a bottle of water out of a 100 peso note drove me crazy when i first got here - when you're grumpy, thirsty and just want to go home finding out your money is useless is frustrating.

Hopefully should all change now that the bus companies lose their hoarding priviledges.

jp said:
Hopefully should all change now that the bus companies lose their hoarding priviledges.

Did you write that on purpose?

"Change" has definitely been the operative word the last 12 months. And today there's a possibility of change in Argentina and DEFINTELY change in Honduras. :eek:

It is embarrassing that a country can be held hostage by it's bus companies.

Back