Money Help, can people get USD here?

halYEM

Registered
So I have been to several ATMs that say they will give out USD and none of them have. I am about to move into a new apartment and they are asking for the deposit and down in USD. I sent them an email asking if they would take pesos, but I only just sent it. Does anyone know another method of obtaining dollars without having to take pesos out of a machine and THEN having to go to a cambio? Or does anyone know anything that might be helpful to me?

Thanks.

halYEM said:
So I have been to several ATMs that say they will give out USD and none of them have. I am about to move into a new apartment and they are asking for the deposit and down in USD. I sent them an email asking if they would take pesos, but I only just sent it. Does anyone know another method of obtaining dollars without having to take pesos out of a machine and THEN having to go to a cambio? Or does anyone know anything that might be helpful to me?

Thanks.

I have been here almost three years and I know of no ATMs that dispense USD. I hope your landlord will accept pesos, but if not, you plan to go to a cambio and change the pesos back into dollars is the only alternative I know of. If you do some "creative math" in your landlord's favor, you might be able to get him to accept the pesos without changing them back to dollars...again.

there are a bunch that give the option, pesos o dollars. but nothing when i select dollars. im sure the landlord will accept pesos then.

Those ATM machines are from back in the day when the dollar and peso were 1 to 1. Me thinks there are no Cajeros in Argentina that actually dispense greenbacks.

All of the responses are wrong. To get dollars from an ATM you must have a dollar account with the bank in question, simple as that. Don't bother trying to open an account. I'm sure the landlord will accept pesos, i.e. just make sure it's the equivalent in dollars.

I just went through the same thing. You just need to ask the landlord. They'll usually take pesos at the current exchange rate. Aside from that, the cambios are the only way to get greenbacks. The ATMS provide the dollar option but Stanexpat is right. You need a local account in dollars to extract dollars.

If you go to the cambio house you have to pay the fee for the change when you already paid your bank to change it to pesos when you took it out of the machine. It is actually illegal to execute a contract in dollars, though everyone does. For that reason they have to accept the peso equivalent, and they know it. You don't have to pay any extra, just figure the rate that day and give it to them in pesos. When it's been me, I haven't even asked, just when they show up I have pesos and they take them. If you get a good referral you can have a cambio house bring you in money from your bank in the states for between 1 and 10 percent, depending on any number of variables. You usually need an intro to a good house though, because it's not kosher. ATM is a dependable way to bring money in cheap. My bank only charges a standard 2% for the exchange. Good luck.

Hello It is not compulsory to pay the rent in dollars you can pay in pesos at the rate stated by Banco Naciòn so the person can go to the Bank and buy dollars himself but you have the right to pay in pesos and is not compulsory to pay in dollars. All the best

I don't pay anything with my bank, The Commerce Bank of Washington. I've also heard that one of the major internet banks (I think Schawab but someone will remember)) doesn't charge anything either.

Back