Money Import Questions

TomAtAlki

Registered
What is the status of importing money through a bank legally these days? Cost? Time frame? Can I just wire transfer from a US account to an Argentine account? Has anything changed since the "bad old days"?

Also can a couple bring in under $10,000 or under $20,000 to Argentina in cash with out declaring it. I know it is under $10,000 for a couple leaving the US but am looking for the law on entering Argentina.

Any up to date information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. T/

Just today I went to the bank to ask about this. I was told that any bank transfer will be sent back unless it is declared. I was told to call Depto Comercio Exterior 0810 999 9090 who would explain the forms and documentation I have to present. This was in the context of both transferring personal savings and in the context of billing foreign clients. I haven't called yet, but I will report back if/when I do.

Any info you find out would be greatly appreciated.

I spoke to a bank in Seattle today. They said they have a client in Buenos Aires and wire transfer money to him all the time. I am trying to find out more details and will share when I find out.

T/

What is the status of importing money through a bank legally these days? Cost? Time frame? Can I just wire transfer from a US account to an Argentine account? Has anything changed since the "bad old days"?

Also can a couple bring in under $10,000 or under $20,000 to Argentina in cash with out declaring it. I know it is under $10,000 for a couple leaving the US but am looking for the law on entering Argentina.

Any up to date information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. T/

The declaration form http://www.afip.gob.ar/genericos/formularios/archivos/pdf/OM-2087-G3.pdf
http://www.cpcesla.org.ar/doc/boletin/412/nov_nac_afip_2704.doc

$10k limit per FAMILY.
Maybe separate yourselves for the journey through customs, individual customs form. Do not know how sophisticated their system is, cross checking entry info between AFIP and immigration. As you know, when the hell have they ever looked at a Customs Form. The one thing I do know, do not try it when entering the USA. Argentine Friend of mine and his wife would separate their travel dates to the USA. He would go one day with $9k and his wife would go the next day with $9k. Well, it worked once but the next trip to the USA, Customs red flagged her. Customs wanted to know why she did not travel with her husband who had entered the USA the previous day? Though she broke no laws on paper, the customs agent made it clear they were aware what may be going on and next time they tried a similar travel schedule, there will be problems entering the country. They have it down pretty good: cross checking passenger lists and stuff. One can argue they broke no laws, however, when has anyone won an argument with these people.

Entering or departing US airports ( even just 9000 usd) is highly dangerous and can be confiscated.

I traveled to Argentina with 50k no problem with my wife. But next time it may go wrong...

The declaration form http://www.afip.gob..../OM-2087-G3.pdf
http://www.cpcesla.o...c_afip_2704.doc

$10k limit per FAMILY.
Maybe separate yourselves for the journey through customs, individual customs form. Do not know how sophisticated their system is, cross checking entry info between AFIP and immigration. As you know, when the hell have they ever looked at a Customs Form. The one thing I do know, do not try it when entering the USA. Argentine Friend of mine and his wife would separate their travel dates to the USA. He would go one day with $9k and his wife would go the next day with $9k. Well, it worked once but the next trip to the USA, Customs red flagged her. Customs wanted to know why she did not travel with her husband who had entered the USA the previous day? Though she broke no laws on paper, the customs agent made it clear they were aware what may be going on and next time they tried a similar travel schedule, there will be problems entering the country. They have it down pretty good: cross checking passenger lists and stuff. One can argue they broke no laws, however, when has anyone won an argument with these people.
Thanks for the links. No surprise but I'm still a little confused. Art 2 seems to say "the said amounts shall be calculated per passenger or crew member". Am I missing something in the translation?

Art. 2 – El importe indicado en el artículo anterior regirá para las personas mayores de edad, los emancipados y para los menores que hayan cumplido 16 años.
Cuando se trate de menores de 16 años de edad no emancipados, dicho monto será igual o superior al equivalente a dólares estadounidenses cinco mil (u$s 5.000).
En ambos casos, los citados importes se computarán por cada viajero o tripulante.

(My emphasis).

When it comes to any sort of comercio exterior (retail/Amazon, containers, banking), it appears that the big change since CFK days is that a lead wall (penetrable only by bribes) has been replaced by a mess of restrictions and regulations/and requirements so byzantine that one needs to strain to remember that incredulous as it may seem, previously things were even worse.

Presumably bribes also flow more smoothly, since easier to pretend things are done on the up and up.

I am starting to gloomily contemplate that camberiu's assessment of this administration may have been spot on.

ben:
Let's not be too hasty on that " gloomy contemplation" "2 big wig hold overs from Kristina's gov't in the Aduana were just arrested this AM for corruption re: some containers each worth about U$D 5.5 m ..One was De Vido's brother- in- law alias El Mono-The Monkey.The other" Cuqui " Barreiro or The Lion King (take your pick of nickname) was arrested as reported by Clarin at his country club resdience in a black bathrobe and white slippers.Gotta' love the way these Argies choose nicknames.
Pray tell.Where do you hear that bribes are flowing more" smoothly"?
Camberiu is naturally heavily influenced by Brazil where 68 Oderbrecht employees arrested for kickbacks in the "petrolao" scandal including the owner's son are presently making arrangements to turn state evidence under Brazil's plea bargaing law.Everyone has the shakes.Including Temer himself.
This is a real "clean hands" process Brazil is going through.Their judiciary is the real champion.Hopefully,Argentina's is taking notice.

Back